What to Drink and Eat After Vomiting
Take one tablespoon of WATER or Oral Rehydrating Solution (ORS) such as Pedialyte and Rehydralyte.
Wait 30 minutes. If no vomiting or diarrhea, take two tablespoons of water or ORS. Continue to increase the amount taken every 30 minutes for about 3 hours, then begin Clear Liquids:
- Sports Drinks - the sugar content is higher than optimal for this purpose, so it is better to dilute it by mixing half sports drink with half water.
- Koolaid - decrease the sugar
- Tea - weak and decaffeinated best
- Clear broth or bouillon
Continue clear liquids until they are well tolerated, then begin Convalescent Diet. Eat small amounts several times a day. Return to a nutritionally balanced diet as soon as possible.
- Bread or toast
- Canned fruit
- Cooked vegetables
- Dry cereal
- Lean meat
- Plain mashed or baked potato, no skin
Do Not Eat or Drink These Items:
- fatty, fried, spicy food
- uncooked or fresh fruit or vegetables
Do Not Take: aspirin, ibuprofen or Aleve (naproxen). All these may upset the stomach.