What to Drink and Eat After Vomiting
Take one tablespoon of WATER or suck an ice cube. Wait 30 minutes, if no vomiting or diarrhea, take 2 tablespoons of water or 2 ice cubes. Continue to increase the amount taken every 30 minutes for about 3 hours, then begin Clear Liquids. You can also make your own Oral Rehydrating Solution (ORS) by mixing ½ level teaspoon of salt and 6 level teaspoons of sugar into 1 Liter of water (1.05 U.S. quart). Be exact about these amounts.
- Sports Drinks - the sugar content is higher than optimal for this purpose, so it is better to dilute it by mixing half sports drink with half water.
- Kool-Aid - decrease the sugar
- Tea - weak and decaffeinated best
- Clear broth or bouillon
Continue clear liquids until they are well tolerated, you are not vomiting and you feel hungry. Then begin the Convalescent Diet. Eat small amounts 6-8 times a day. Return to a nutritionally balanced diet of protein, grain, fruit and vegetables as soon as you can tolerate it, but try to not rush it too quickly.
- Toast (BRAT diet)
- Canned fruit
- Cooked vegetables
- Dry cereal
- Plain cooked pasta
- Plain, baked chicken or fish
- Plain mashed or baked potato, no skin
Do not eat or drink these items while you are sick. Wait several days after you are well to resume:
- fatty, fried, greasy or spicy food
- uncooked or fresh fruit or vegetables
Do not take: aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen, as these may irritate your stomach.
You make take acetaminophen (Tylenol) 500-1000 mg every 6 hours as needed for pain.