- IU Health Center 4th Floor
- For questions or to make an appointment (812) 855-5711
Tips for New IU Students
Welcome to IU! You are starting an exciting and significant next phase of your life. It is also a time of challenge and stress. We are pleased to offer some suggestions to help you thrive at IU. See which ones fit for you.
- Find a community: This can take some effort and time, but it is well worth it. Make friends in your hall, get involved with your hall government or student organizations http://studentaffairs.iub.edu/sll/ , form a study group, use the Rec Centers http://www.iurecsports.org/ How you connect with others does not matter, just be sure to connect.
- Plan for stress: More students come to CAPS for help with stress than anything else. No surprise there. You are away from home for what is probably the first time. You are managing your finances, adjusting to a new roommate, coping with leaving close friends at home. Make a plan now for how you will manage stress (Organize and avoid procrastination – study early!, exercise, try a CAPS workshop http://healthcenter.indiana.edu/counseling/index.shtml.)
- Take care of yourself and others: Resolve small problems before they become big. Low grade? Seek support from the Student Academic Center http://sac.indiana.edu/ , advisor, professor, or counselor. Do it right away, not at the end of the semester when it may be more difficult. Friend have a problem? Find a Crimson Corps member for help http://healthcenter.indiana.edu/affiliates/crimsoncorps/ or check out the Culture of Care website http://iusa.indiana.edu/culture-of-care/.