Citizenship, Globalization, and Human Rights: Social Studies Workshop - Teachers Grades 6-12
The Center for Social Studies and International Education would like to inform you about an exciting professional development opportunity for middle and high school social studies teachers being offered this fall. In these workshops, subject-matter specialists from IU-Bloomington’s Title VI Area Studies Centers will present content related to the theme of Citizenship, Globalization, and Human Rights. The presentations in this workshop will connect the theme with Social Studies Standards for Civics and Government, World History, and Geography. A teaching methods specialist will provide creative teaching ideas for your social studies course. Professional Growth Points are available for this workshop and WE WILL COVER THE COST OF A SUBSTITUTE.
Highlights of the workshop include:
· Hear experts on Russia and Eastern Europe, East Asia, Africa, Inner Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean
· Learn the latest instructional practices
· Come away with solid content knowledge and classroom tested techniques.
· Reap the benefits of using resources developed by IU's nationally recognized area studies faculty
· Focus on Citizenship, Globalization, and Human Rights theme across the Social Studies Standards
Workshop Dates and Registration
December 13, 2011Tuesday—Wilson Education Center, Charlestown
December 16, 2011Friday—West Central Indiana Education Service Center, Greencastle
Register at: http://www.wciesc.k12.in.us/workshop1.html
Again, we will cover the cost of a substitute for your classroom in order to allow you to take advantage of this opportunity. For more information or contact Arlene Benitez, firstname.lastname@example.org 812.855.1270, with any questions.
Sponsoring Indiana University Area Studies Centers: African Studies Program, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, East Asian Studies Center, Inner Asian & Uralic National Resource Center, Russian and East European Institute, Center for Social Studies and International Education