Teaching, technology & Diversity
Age Related Teaching Tips
- Do not make non-traditional and often older students feel excluded or singled out.
- Make older students feel included in class discussions and in everything else.
- Admit it when you don't know the answer to something and then follow up on it -- this helps build trust particularly with non-traditional and older students.
- Keep an open mind in the classroom and stop trying to keep their classroom molded into one entity.
- Try to be as organized as possible with your materials.
- Whether you are a TA or a professor, do not feel intimidated by an older student. In essence, do not feel intimidated by a difference in age.
- Take advantage of the life experience as well as the different perspectives the older students' brought into your class.