Minutes IICA Meeting October 13, 2006
1. GEC Planning Committee – Kathy Frank
- Kathy Frank, Ellen Miller, and Kathy Segrist had a conference call on October 12 to begin planning a GEC application. Minutes of the conference call were distributed. They discussed the Needs Assessments that have been done so far, future needs assessments that could be done, future student/employment pool-career planning, and choosing the IN GEC priorities.
- Future planning meetings will be on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 3-4 pm. The GEC Planning Conference Call will be coordinated by Kathy F. The next one is Nov. 9th from 3-4 pm.
- Minutes from the GEC Planning Committee are available on the IICA website, www.indiana.edu/~iica.
2. IICA Brochure-Lesa
- The brochure was reviewed and corrections noted
- The brochure will be distributed electronically as a pdf to Council Members and available on the IICA website before the next meeting.
3. Mental Health and Aging-Will
- The 3rd Annual Indiana Mental Health Conference on Aging was September 25 at the Indiana Government Center. It was held in conjunction with the National Association of State Mental Health Directors.
- Overall both conferences went well, with good reviews from federal agencies including the VA, SAMHSA, and CMS.
- The conference will be used as a kickoff for an Indiana Coalition of Mental Health and Aging.
4. New Legislation – Will
- The Positive Aging Act had a lot of co-sponsors but did not pass. Elements of the act were incorporated into the 16 reauthorization of the Older Americans Act (OAA) which just passed.
- Will distributed a memo that outlined the elements of the Positive Aging Act which were incorporated into the OAA. The National Coalition on Mental Health was pleased with the provisions that were passed.
- Will has been speaking at numerous national conferences because of the recent positive progress of legislation in this area.
5. Review of Collaborative Conference- Kay Crawford
- Subcommittees are formed and are meeting. Anyone interested in serving on a planning subcommittee should contact Ellen Miller, email@example.com.
- The Executive Committee would like the program to reflect a broad representation from around the state.
6. Upcoming Events
- IU Bloomington and the Waldron Arts Center is offering a Creative Aging Workshop on November 15 at the Waldron Arts Center. Susan Perlstein, Director of the National Center for Creative Aging will be in Bloomington directing a one-day conference on aging and creativity and increasing access to the arts in the community. Conference fees and lunch are provided through funding by the American Society on Aging. For more information, contact Lesa Huber, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indiana Inter-College Council on Aging hosts Sr. Marty Rivers - *Join the Indiana Inter-College Council on Aging on November 10 at 10:30am in the CAC conference room in Fountain Square Center to hear from Sr. Martinette Rivers, a spiritual gerontologist based in Shreveport, Louisiana. She regularly lectures on "Learning the New Language of Elders" and "The Seven Wonders of Aging." She is the author of the /Beatitudes of the Aging/ and the soon-to-be-released /Aging Has Its Own Delights /. If you plan to attend, please RSVP to Lidia Dubicki <mailto:email@example.com> at (317) 791-5930.
- CICOA is sponsoring “Almost Home: How We Live as We Age” Spirit and Place on Nov. 9 at 6:30. www.spiritandplace.org
Next Meeting: November 10, 2006 at 10 am.