Minutes IICA Meeting
Friday, November 10, 2006
Peggy Favorite, Will Mays, Ellen Miller, Kathy Segrist, Margaret Adamek, Kay Crawford
1. Will reported that the Mental Health & Aging Coalition will meet on Friday, Dec 8th from 1-3pm at CAC. This is an effort to re-energize the group and to move forward with the Positive Aging points that have been placed in the reauthorization of the Older Americans Act.
2. Kathy S. reported on the GEC Conference Call of Thursday, Nov 9th where discussion focused on the various products and resources of other GECs. A letter will be sent to other organizations with follow-up after the first of the year. Next conference call will be from 3-4pm on Thurs, Dec 7th. Let Kathy Frank know on Dec 4th if you would like to participate in the call.
3. Ellen reported that the Indiana Collaborative Conference now has a firm date and site – the conference will be Feb 4-6, 2008 at the Adams Mark Airport. Currently, there are three committees – Sponsors/Exhibitors, Program and Marketing/Communications. If IICA members would like to participate on one of the committees they should contact Ellen. Meetings can be held by conference call because members are from around the state. Mental Health will be brought into the conference along with Division of Aging and State Dept of Health.
4. Upcoming Events: April 18th – Kirkpatrick Conference with Dr. Bill Thomas as keynote speaker.
5. Indiana is participating in a national study on mental health resources that exist in other agencies – Will is looking for a part-time GA to assist with the data collection.
6. Meeting was adjourned to hear presentation from Sister Martinette Rivers on Spiritual Gerontology.
7. NEXT MEETING IS FRIDAY, DEC 8TH 10-12, FOLLOWED BY MENTAL HEALTH AND AGING COALITION FROM 1-3PM