- Full Citation: DeWitt C. Markle, "'...The True Definition of War': The Civil War Diary of DeWitt C. Markle," ed. Erich L. Ewald,
Indiana Magazine of History 89, no. 2 (June 1993): 125-135.
- Home: Madison County (Markleville)
- Year: 1863
- Regiment: 57th Indiana Volunteer Infantry
- Engagement: Battle of Stones River
- Abstract: Markle (1838-1911) fought in Buell’s Army of the Ohio, and was injured at the Battle of Stones River. He convalesced at the soldier’s home in Indianapolis and thereafter spent time copying reports at headquarters and reading rebel mail. The diary covers January-September 1863.
- Sample Text:
- “Who but the Soldier knows the true definition of ‘War'?” (p. 129)
- LC Subject Headings:
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 57th (1861-1865)
- Stones River, Battle of, Murfreesboro, Tenn., 1862-1863