Gwendŵr Meredith, BA'13
Major: Animal Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation
Gwendŵr Meredith gained valuable field experience by assisting with the final project of another animal behavior student. "In this picture I am collecting painted turtles at Musky Bay in Lac Courte Oreilles, Wisconsin, to take morphological measurements, collect fecal samples, and tag for future studies. My role in this project was as field assistant to Beth Reinke, a recent IMP graduate now at Dartmouth."
Gwendŵr's own project focused on the head-down display of brown-headed cowbirds. "The behavioral significance of this behavior is disputed and my project studies one of the hypotheses that head-down rates increase when new individuals are introduced. My project uses flock manipulations to test whether the head-down functions as a tool for social integration. This finding has ecological implications because creating and maintaining flock dynamics is important for many species' preservation."
The Individualized Major Program gives you the freedom to create a multidisciplinary major that addresses issues and explores topics of your own choosing. The ability to select major courses from Indiana University's many schools and departments puts you in charge of your education in ways that conventional majors don't allow. As a student in the IMP you'll have the opportunity, rare in an institution of IU's size, to develop a close working relationship with one or more faculty sponsors who will guide you throughout your academic career. And, when you graduate, you'll have the distinction of having pursued a personalized course of study. Learn more about the IMP.
- New this fall! We are now offering individualized minors. Applications are due September 24.
- IMP major applications for fall 2014 are now available. Draft applications are due October 13. The final application deadline is October 31.
- Final project deadline for graduating seniors: November 14
- Admission interviews and final project reviews: November 17-21 and December 1-19
- Past E-mail Announcements (log-in required)