To apply for an individualized minor, please complete the IMP Minor Application and submit it to the IMP office in Ballantine 129. The application deadline for spring 2015 is February 18.
We recommend that you meet with the IMP assistant director to discuss your ideas prior to filling out the application. To schedule an appointment, call (812) 855-9588 or e-mail email@example.com.
The Individualized Major Program now offers students the opportunity to create individualized minors on topics not otherwise available at IU. These minors may be connected with the Collegeís annual Themester or colloquia offered through IUís centers and institutes, or on any subject for which the student is able to make a compelling case.
Minors are approved by a committee of three faculty members based on an application form and an essay in which the applicant answers the following questions:
- Does the minor resemble others that are regularly offered at IU Bloomington? If so, how is the proposed IMP minor different from others it may resemble?
- What is the principle of coherence unifying the courses for the minor?
- What do you hope to learn from completing this minor?
- How does the minor complement your major? Is there a close thematic connection? Does it address an interest not otherwise reflected in your degree?
Minors must adhere to the following regulations:
- A minimum of 15 credit hours
- No more than two courses from any single department
- No more than 6 credit hours from units outside the College of Arts and Sciences
- No more than 3 hours of internship and 3 hours of independent readings credit
- A minimum of 9 credit hours at the 300-400 level
- No more than two courses that are already completed at the time the student applies
- Only one course from the individualized minor can count toward other degree objectives including majors, other minors, or certificates.
Students pursuing an individualized major are not eligible to add an individualized minor. Students who have been admitted to the individualized minor and later decide to pursue an individualized major may do so, but will be required to drop the minor.
Interested students should meet with the IMP assistant director to discuss the viability of their ideas. Applications are accepted once per semester. For spring 2015 the application deadline is February 18.