- Ph.D., Karlova Univerzita (Charles University), Prague, 1992
- M.A., University of Nebraska-Kearney, 1984
- B.A. Honors, University of Southampton, UK, 1982
Region(s) of Interest
- Central Europe
My research interests focus on the causes and aspects of social suffering and violence in a global context which I examine through the lenses of human trafficking; an interest that has evolved from my exploration of migration to a broadly defined voluntary and forced movement of people around the globe. My conceptualizing of this phenomenon began with an historical enquiry and developed into an interdisciplinary approach within the context of both the international and global. My approach in studying and teaching about trafficking in human beings is strongly shaped by the post-colonial and neoliberal theory of profit being the driving force dividing the Global North and the Global South.
- 2012: Global Human Trafficking: A Bibliography, 2000-2010. Center for the Study of Global Change, Indiana University, Bloomington.
- 2010: Kde domov můj? Češi a Slováci v USA a jejich vazba k mateřské zemi, 1880–1920 [Where is My Homeland? Czechs and Slovaks in the USA and Their Ties to the Homeland]. Praha: Studie Narodohospodarskeho ustavu
- 1993: To Reap a Bountiful Harvest: Czech Immigration Beyond the Mississippi, 1850-1900. Iowa City: Rudi Publishing.
Chapters and Articles
- 2015: Meeting the Needs of Victims of Sex Trafficking: Are Domestic Violence Victim Services Organizations Appropriate? Domestic Violence Report. Special Issue on Hidden Victims, October 2015.
- 2013: Stories from Within and From Without: Czech and Slovak Immigration, 1945-Present in Slovo, National Czech and Slovak Museum and Library, Summer, 4-7, Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- 2011: "If you catch em,' you ought to clean 'em and fry 'em": Immigration and Naturalization Services' Discrimination Measures and Foreign Policy Considerations” in Milos Calda et al. Recent Perspectives: Integration of Newcomers, Prague: Dokoran. 105-119.
- 2011: "Asian Americans - a Model Minority?” in Milos Calda et al. Recent Perspectives: Integration of Newcomers, Prague: Dokoran. 119-137.
- 2007: Zkušenosti s archívy ve Spojených státech při studiu Čechů a Slováků v Severní Americe [Czech-and Slovak-American Archival Sources in the USA] in České archívy a prameny, Národní archív, 117-21.
- 2006: "The Elite, the Peasants, and Woodrow Wilson: American Slovaks and Their Ties to the Homeland, 1914-1918," in Transcultural Localisms: Responding to Ethnicity in a Globalized World in American Studies monograph series, vol. 136, Yiorgos Kalogeras, Eleftheria Arapoglou, Linda Manney, eds., 239-52.