Requirements for Major » Career Development
The Department of International Studies strives to prepare students for rewarding careers in the international arena. Students are required to complete a course through Arts & Sciences Career Services and have two options:
- ASCS-Q 296 College to Career II: Navigate Your Arts & Sciences Experience is designed for students who have selected majors/minors in the School of Global & International Studies, but are unsure of professional interests. Students leave the class with an understanding of how to find relevant opportunities, the ability to articulate the skills gained through their degree program, and an action plan to work toward goals. ASCS-Q 296 is ideal for sophomores and first-semester juniors.
- ASCS-Q 299 College to Career III: Market Yourself for the Job and Internship Search is more suited for those who are ready to work toward specific career goals. Students write a resume and practice their interview skills. ASCS-Q 299 is ideal for second-semester juniors and seniors.
Both classes are two-credit, Satisfactory/Fail courses and will fulfill the major requirement. It is up to the student to select the one that sounds more suitable.
The department works closely with the Arts & Sciences Career Services and the School of Global and International Studies to identify internships and volunteer opportunities at home and abroad. All students are strongly encouraged to consult with the SGIS career advisor Andrea White (email@example.com) regarding career and graduate school options.
Students are advised to:
- Be informed and participate in career events on campus
- Network with members of the International Studies Alumni Associations in Chicago, Indianapolis, New York and Washington, D.C.
- Consider selecting an overseas study program that includes an internship
- Create an E-portfolio to be ready for job hunting (Students who take ASCS-Q 296 will develop an e-Portolio in class)
- Take advantage of Local Internship Opportunities established by International Studies
- View a list of additional internship opportunities
- Upon graduation