Requirements for Major » International Experience
- Minimum of six weeks in one geographic location
- Related to the student’s academic and/or career goals
- Recommended sequence
- Participation in
- a study-abroad program
- or, completion of an international internship or volunteer experience.
- International internships can be found at the IUB Overseas Study program. All Internship and Volunteer experiences require pre-approval by the department, an Assumption of Risk and Release from Liability form, a Site Evaluation form, an Employer Evaluation form, a journal, and a 5-10 page reflection paper.
Exceptions to the International Experience
- Cases for an exception are usually based on unforeseen hardship or medical problems.
- On very rare occasions students can petition the Director of Undergraduate Studies for completing the international experience domestically. Working with a refugee population or at a U.S.-based foreign embassy may be examples of acceptable alternatives.