Requirements for Major » International Experience
All International Studies majors are required to complete an overseas experience that meets the following criteria:
- Minimum of six weeks in one geographic location
- Related to the student’s academic and/or career goals
- Recommended sequence
Students may participate in a study-abroad program or complete an alternative experience, such as an internship or volunteer experience.
- Students who are interested in studying abroad should visit the Office of Overseas Study to discuss options.
- Students who are interested in alternative experiences should speak with the academic advisor about plans and must submit a Pre-Approval Form and Assumption of Risk form prior to going abroad. See pre-approval form for additional documentation that will be due upon return.
Exceptions to the International Experience
- Cases for an exception are usually based on unforeseen hardship or medical problems.
- On very rare occasions students can petition the Director of Undergraduate Studies for completing the international experience domestically. Working with a refugee population or at a U.S.-based foreign embassy may be examples of acceptable alternatives.