- Any regular member of InULA is eligible to apply. The Grants Chair should check with the InULA Treasurer to verify the applicant’s membership status.
- Applicants should submit the following materials via email to the current Grants & Scholarships Committee Chair: the main application; the applicant’s curriculum vitae; and 1-3 letters of support). (The application form requires a description of the project, a budget, a statement of the part for which funding is requested, and other supporting information.)
- The application form will include a question about the tenure status of the applicant as preference may be given to untenured librarians in making grant awards.
- If a Grants and Scholarship Committee member elects to apply for funding, s/he will be permitted to submit an application for ONE of the three funding cycles in that fiscal year. For the funding cycle in which an application is submitted, s/he will recuse her/himself from participating in the work of the Committee. The Committee member would, therefore, participate in the work of TWO of the three funding cycles, as well as full participation in the Scholarship application review.
- Likewise, Executive Board members will be eligible to apply for Grants funding but will recuse themselves from the deliberations of the Executive Board related to Grants funding and approval of awards for that funding cycle. As with Grants and Scholarship Committee members, Executive Board Officers will be eligible to apply only ONE time per budget year (July 1 – June 30).
- An individual who has received an InULA Research Incentive Grant within the past six months is ineligible for consideration until that six-month time period has passed. After that time, past recipient of an InULA Research Incentive Grant may apply again for funding for either a new project or a new phase of the project for which funding was previously received once if the previous funding . However, priority will be given to projects for which no prior InULA funding has been awarded.
- Previous grant recipients must have completed the one-page summaries or status reports related to their grant projects in order to be considered for additional grant funding.
Categories of Support
- Seed support of research and research-related activities used to develop a larger research proposal. (Past grant recipients may also apply for funding for new phases of previous projects, though priority will be given to projects for which no prior InULA funding has been awarded.)
- Travel to support gathering of data or to present results of the research project. Applications to support travel, registration, and other expenses related to attend a conference where the applicant will be (a) giving a presentation/paper; (b) serving as a panelist; or (c) presenting a poster session are eligible for support.
- Funds for research equipment or materials.
- Other needs not defined above, including copying, secretarial services, preparation of graphics for publications, computing services, ILL costs, postage, telephone, etc.
Priorities for Awarding the InULA Research Incentive Fund
The InULA Research Incentive Fund is intended to encourage and support research by providing funding for research projects of any size or scope. All applications will be considered on their merits. In the case of equally meritorious proposals, those of non-tenured librarians may be given priority, because it is often difficult for beginning researchers to obtain research grants.
- Each year there are funds to distribute, the President of InULA shall inform the Executive Board of the amount of money available. The Board shall invite librarians to prepare proposals for the use of these monies, establish a deadline for receiving proposals, and a calendar for reviewing them. This process shall be called a funding cycle in a calendar year. Depending on the availability of funds, there may be more than one funding cycle in a calendar year.
- Applications are available online.
- The Scholarship and Grants Committee will receive and review Research Incentive Fund applications and submit their recommendations to the Executive Board for final approval and funding. It is possible for the Committee to recommend partial funding for a proposal.
- The Board shall be responsible for monitoring and reviewing the use of funds awarded in previous years. The recipient is required to submit a one-page summary describing use of these funds.
- Unused Monies
All funds not awarded in a funding quarter will be carried over into the remaining quarter(s). This sum shall be equally dispersed among the remaining quarters(s).
Annual Deadlines for Applications
- October 15
- January 15
- April 15
Or the next working day if these dates fall on a weekend or holiday.
Revised December 2014