- Affiliated Faculty
- FLAS Grants
Teaching Resources Websites
The Mideast—Helpful Teaching Links
Outreach World: U.S. Department of Education site with searchable database for teacher resources:
PBS Global Connections: This site offers a global and historical perspective on the Middle East with curricular activities for high school class rooms:
Middle East Studies Internet Resources: Columbia University’s collection of internet-based resources and bibliographies on Middle East and North Africa:
InternationalEd: Classroom curriculum available sorted by subject and region plus other useful links:
Country Studies: The research division of the Library of Congress provides extensive overviews of various nations:
The World Factbook: The Central Intelligence Agency publishes information on the geography, people, government, and economy of each Middle Eastern country:
Country Briefings: These country profiles from The Economist include economic structure, outlook, and basic data:
Middle East Studies Report: Stability and Instability in the Gulf: These reports summarize economic, demographic, energy, military spending, and arms-transfer trends:
Links to Media Resources in the Middle East
See firsthand how Middle Eastern Media Outlets are covering current news stories in specific countries.
- Daily Star (Beirut, Lebanon): http://www.dailystar.com.lb/
- Middle East Times (English, published in Cyprus): http://www.metimes.com/
- Asharq Alawsat International Middle East daily newspaper English edition (London): http://www.aawsat.com/english/
- Al-Ahram abstracted in weekly English edition: http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/index.htm
- Al-Jazeera Arab satellite network, English homepage: http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage
- Jerusalem Post Israeli daily newspaper: http://www.jpost.com/
- Haaretz English edition: http://www.haaretz.com/
- Arutz Sheva Israel National News TV/Radio: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/
- Zaman English edition: http://www.todayszaman.com/
- Tehran Times: http://www.tehrantimes.com/
- Iran News Daily Tehran newspaper in English: http://www.irannewsdaily.com/
- Khaleej Times (United Arab Emirates): http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Index00.asp
- The Jordan Times: http://www.jordantimes.com/
- Al-bawaba gateway to news in the Arab World, etc.: http://www.albawaba.com/
- International Television Stations site includes channels from the Arab and Islamic world : http://jumptv.com/
Resources for the Study of Islam
Access Islam http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/accessislam/
Funded by the U.S. Dept. of Education, this site gives students and teachers access to Internet-based videos, lesson plans, and associated materials.
Islam website of Prof. Alan Godlas http://www.uga.edu/islam/
A thoughtful and comprehensive site compiled by a Professor from the Department of Religion at the University of Georgia presents many topics related to Islam and the Middle East, including images, glossaries, etc.
Literature and Writing
Are You Listening? Voices from the Middle East
This very popular anthology, produced by The Outreach Center of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at Harvard, consists of short stories and excerpts from memoirs and novels written by indigenous authors and translated and adapted for the U.S. classroom.
The anthology includes stories from Turkey, Israel, Iran, and the Arab world, tested and selected for their cultural richness and their appeal to young adults. It includes curriculum units for each, extensive background notes, a glossary of Middle Eastern words and phrases, and a comprehensive bibliography related to the themes and issues in the stories as further reference for teachers and students. Educators can download the entire anthology and reprint it for classroom use themselves, provided that they credit the Center for Middle Eastern Studies appropriately.
Selections of Arabic, Persian, and Ottoman Calligraphy
This Library of Congress on-line digital collection presents Arabic script calligraphy sheets ranging in date from the 9th through the 19th centuries with explanatory catalogue descriptions and text translation.
Weatherly Hall 114, 400 N. Sunrise Drive, Bloomington, IN 47408
Phone: (812) 856-3977 | Fax: (812) 855-2500 | E‑mail: islmprogindiana.edu
Copyright © 2013, The Trustees of Indiana University | Copyright Complaints