Web Accessibility Validators & Tools
The linked pages below contain lists of validators for accessibility, HTML/XHTML, and CSS as well as other accessibility tools that can help check color contrast, evaluate how screen reading technology reads a web page, and conduct other evaluations for creating accessible web content. This is not an exhaustive list. It is reviewed regularly by the UITS Adaptive Technology and Accessibility Center in cooperation with the Web Accessibility Subcommittee of the Indiana University Web Standards Committee. Reviewer comments accompany most resources. Please direct any questions or comments to email@example.com.
Categories of Validators & Tools
About the Lists
The lists are constructed from a regular review by members of the Web Accessibility Subcommittee of the Indiana University Web Standards Committee in cooperation with the UITS Adaptive Technology and Accessibility Center. Tools are categorized as validators or development tools and then reviewed and ranked as follows:
- Validator/Tool Under Development - Resource shows promise but is not ready to be listed. Reviewers should review again later.
- Validator/Tool is Developed and Working - Resource is then ranked on scale of 1-5 as follows:
- Reviewer uses this regularly or would use it, recommended web accessibility resource
- Reviewer would recommend but does not have as much experience using the resource, but this resource looks like it could be good.
- Reviewer reports that resource works but has specific issues
- Reviewer reports that resource works but does not recommend because of specific issues
- Reviewer reports that resource is too complicated, wouldn't be useful. Provides misleading information, is too complicated to get up and running, report too complicated to read and make sense of.
Only validators and tools that are developed and working and given a ranking of 1 or 2 are listed here. Resources given a ranking of 3, 4, or 5 are considered too complex and unhelpful to recommend. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a full list of resources reviewed.