Set Up Your Computing Accounts
Congratulations on your admission to Indiana University! You did it! It's time to set up your IU computing account and your IU email account. Without your IU accounts, you will not be able to apply for housing, pay your enrollment deposit, or schedule New Student Orientation.
To create your IU computing account, you will need your university ID number (included in your letter of admission). Please note that even if you have already created an initial IU computing account to check your application status, you still need to set up your IU email account. If you have already set up your IU computing account, please follow steps 1, 2 and 5 below to set up your IU email account.
You can set up your IU computing and email accounts by watching or following the directions below:
*The video demo is only if you haven't updated your computing account. If you have, then you will only have to complete the step to set up your IU email.
- Go to the Account Management Service (AMS).
- Click “Create my first IU computing accounts.” You must do this even if you just need to set up your IU email.
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID number in the fields provided, and then click “Continue.” Your University ID number was included in an email we sent you approximately one week after your application was submitted. It was also included in your admit letter, which you should have received 7-10 days after your admission decision was made. If you do not know your University ID number, contact the Office of Admissions.
- The AMS page will display the Guidelines for Appropriate Usage, which are rules and policies for IT account use at IU. After you have read the Guidelines, enter “Yes” to agree to these policies, and then click “Continue.”
- From the available options, select where you want to receive your IU email. You can choose either an Imail account (similar to Live.com/Hotmail in Microsoft) or a Umail account (similar to Gmail in Google). Click “Continue.”
- If you have already set up your IU computing account, your directions end here and you will not see the remaining steps. Instead, you will be directed to a screen that says "Done" where it shows the Security Questions that you already selected when you previously completed steps 6-10.
- Enter the passphrase you want to use in both fields. For information on selecting a valid and secure passphrase, see Passwords and passphrases.
- Next, you will enroll in the Passphrase Self-Service Reset System. If you forget your passphrase, this system will allow you to reset it yourself without having to visit a UITS Support Center walk-in location in person. Either select a question from the drop-down list or enter your own question. Type and re-type the correct answer in the fields provided. Click “Continue” to enter further questions, to a maximum of ten.
- Cick “Done” to complete your enrollment in the Passphrase Self-Service Reset System, once you have entered at least three questions and answers.
- Click “Print page” if you want to print a copy of your account information, and be sure to write this information down and keep it in a safe place. You will need your account information each time you log in to your IU computing account.
- To end your AMS session and close your browser, click “Exit.” It may take up to 48 hours before you can log in to some services.
*If you have ever previously been enrolled in or participated in a program at any IU campus and were given a 10-digit University ID number or IU username, you will use the same ID number or username and follow these steps to set up your IU computing account. If you have forgotten your IU username, contact the UITS Support Center. If you have forgotten your University ID number, you must contact the Office of the Registrar.