We understand that your plans may change, and you may decide to enroll at IU later than you originally expected. You must complete the online form for domestic applicants before the start of the term for which you originally applied. International students should carefully follow the instructions found in the international sections below.
Here are our policies for deferring enrollment:
- If you need to defer your entry term beyond one year, you must reapply.
- If you register for 12 or more credit hours at a postsecondary institution (such as another college or university), you must reapply to IU as a transfer student.
- You are required to submit your final secondary school transcript and ACT and/or SAT scores sent directly from the testing agencies, if you have not done so already. Your application may be re-reviewed based on any new academic information.
- If you need to defer your entry term beyond one semester, you must reapply.
- If you are an intercampus transfer student, you must reapply for admission for the term you plan to attend.
- If you are taking classes at a postsecondary institution (such as another college or university), you are required to submit new transcripts. Your application may be re-reviewed based on any new academic information.
- If you were previously admitted, you will automatically be admitted for a future term once all required materials are received, provided you do not have a grade of C- or below in your last semester of course work. Applicants with grades of C- or below will need to be reconsidered for admission.
International applicants may defer their application within iStart (http://istart.iu.edu). Deferral request must be submitted before the start of the term to which you initially applied. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of International Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.