Skip to main content

Hutton Honors College

 — Indiana University

Fernando Orejuela
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
800 E. Third Street

1. How is your honors degree program administered? Is there a specific person who acts as coordinator? Is there a faculty committee?

The process begins with the Director of Undergraduate Studies, who will help the student select a Thesis Director. The current Director of Undergraduate Studies serves as the Honors Program Advisor. In addition to the Thesis Director, there are two more readers - chosen by the student in conjunction with the Thesis Director -- who comprise the student's Honors Committee.

2. What are the requirements for admission into your honors program? How are students recruited for your program? May students recommend themselves?

Enrollment in the Folklore and Ethnomusicology honors program requires a 3.5 GPA in Folklore and Ethnomusicology and a 3.3 GPA overall. Students must maintain this minimum GPA, graduating with a 3.5 GPA in the major and a 3.3 overall GPA. Students must be pursuing a major in Folklore and Ethnomusicology. All students entering the Folklore and Ethnomusicology major are informed about the Honors Program option. Outstanding students are encouraged to participate. Students may recommend themselves for the program, or may be recruited by a faculty member. Those students interested in pursuing an Honors in Folklore and Ethnomusicology should apply through the Director of Undergraduate Studies. All interested students should confer with the Director of Undergraduate Studies and the Academic Advisor for full details about the procedures for admission to the Honors Program.

3. How does a student graduate with honors from your department?

To receive an Honors degree in Folklore and Ethnomusicology, a student must present a 35-50 page thesis (roughly 15,000-22,500 words) or project judged acceptable by his/her Honors Committee. Following the oral defense, the Honors Committee will determine whether the candidate should graduate with Honors in Folklore and Ethnomusicology. The Thesis Director is responsible for assigning a grade.

4. What courses do students take as juniors and before in order to prepare for working on the senior project? How are these honors seminars and courses typically conducted? What are the usual requirements in certain courses?

F399 and F499 run in sequence. F399 is a research semester and F499 is the writing semester for the thesis project. During both semesters, students work with a faculty mentor of their choice, ideally the faculty mentor who will serve as the honors Thesis Director. Typically, students will take F401 (Methods and Theories) and F399 (Readings for Honors) in the spring semester of their junior year. During the fall semester of their senior year, they will enroll in both F497 (Advanced Seminar) and F499 (Honors Thesis), repeating this course if necessary, completing the thesis during their final year. These specific requirements for the Honors are in addition to the Folklore and Ethnomusicology major requirements; F399 and F499 are to be taken on top of the requirements for 300- and 400-level courses. Students are encouraged to consult with the Academic Advisor or the Thesis Director to plan additional coursework which will help support their chosen thesis topic.

5. Are there departmental resources available to support internships or research projects related to the senior project?

Yes, we have opportunities for students to participate in Service Learning Internships, and Individual Project Internships and Practicums which can be related to a senior project. These opportunities, taken as F400 or F403, require an application and a contract signed by a faculty mentor of the student's choice. The Academic Advisor can help the student with this.

Other Programs Folklore and Ethnomusicology Web Site