Questions, questions, questions...
Back to Top
- I haven't been accepted yet into my overseas program. Should I wait until I am accepted to turn in the HIEP application?
NO!!! If you wait until you are accepted, the HIEP deadline may have already passed. Apply for the HIEP Grant at the same time you apply for your program.
- I don't have my program acceptance letter. Should I still turn in my application?
Yes. Most students do not receive their letter of acceptance to their overseas study program until after the grant deadline. Turn in your application before the deadline and send in a copy of the acceptance letter as soon as you receive it. PLEASE NOTE: If you have not been officially accepted into your study abroad program, you must still apply for the HIEP Grant before the HIEP deadline; just submit one of the following as pending proof:
1) a letter/e-mail indicating that you have applied for a study abroad program;
2) a copy of the first page of your study abroad program application.
3) a statement indicating your intent to apply for a study abroad program.
Once you are officially accepted into your study abroad program, you must submit one duplex print-out of your official acceptance notice from your study abroad program.
- When should I hear the acceptance status of my application?
Within 6 weeks after the HIEP deadline.
- It is past the HIEP application deadline. Can I still apply?
No. Once the deadline passes, you cannot apply for that awarding cycle.
- Where should I submit my application materials?
You may submit your application materials either in-person or by campus mail to: Hutton Honors College, Attn: HIEP Grant, 811 E. 7th St., Bloomington, IN 47405
- How do I calculate my major GPA?
To calculate your major GPA, make a list of the classes you've taken to satisfy requirements for your major, the credit hours of each, and your grade in each. Then go to the IU GPA Calculator at http://registrar.indiana.edu/stu_grades.shtml. You may wish to meet with your academic advisor to verify your major GPA. If you have not taken any classes in your major, then you do not have a major GPA.
- What is the essay question?
In a 400-500 word essay, please answer the following: How will your proposed international experience contribute to your academic growth? Your professional growth? Your personal growth?
- What is a duplex copy?
Duplex copies are two-sided front & back print-outs. It does not mean to print out two copies. For instructions on how to print duplex copies, please refer to http://kb.iu.edu/data/akez.html
- Where should my faculty recommender send their letter?
Your faculty recommender may send an e-mail to hiep[at]indiana[dot]edu. Alternatively, they may send a letter to: Hutton Honors College, Attn: HIEP Grant, 811 E. 7th St., Bloomington, IN 47405
- How can I tell if my recommender is faculty?
Your recommendation must come from a Faculty member as defined by Indiana University. To verify their status, go to the IU Address book at www.iub.edu/people/index.shtml and locate your recommender. Their status must say "Faculty" under "Affiliation."
- What should my faculty recommender say about me in the letter?
The faculty recommender should answer the following questions about the applicant and his/her plans:
- How long and how well and in what context do you know the applicant?
- Have you discussed the applicant's plans?
- Are the applicant's expense estimates realistic?
- How will the proposed international experiences contribute to the applicant's academic, professional and/or personal growth?
- If the proposal includes independent activities, does the applicant have the intellectual and personal maturity for a successful journey?
- In your estimate, what is the single most compelling reason the Honors College should make this award to this applicant?
- Recommenders may add any comments deemed appropriate.
- Is HIEP funding only for Hutton Honors students?
No. Preference is given to Hutton Honors and Hudson & Holland students, but any IUB undergraduate that meets the qualifications should apply.
- I graduate in May. Can I still apply for HIEP funding to use on a summer program?
No. You must hold an undergraduate status for the entire term you intend to use the funding. If you would like to be eligible, then you need to push back your official graduation date with the Registrar's office.
- I do not meet the GPA criteria for HIEP. Are exceptions ever made to this policy?
No. You must meet the GPA criteria at the time of applying. GPA's are not rounded up, so even if you have a 3.399, you will still not be eligible to apply.
- I am a first-semester freshman, so I don't have a GPA. Can I apply?
No. You must have completed one full semester (least 12 credit hours) of graded coursework at IU Bloomington. Since HIEP funding is based on merit, the HIEP Committee needs to evaluate your academic performance at IU Bloomington.
- I already received HIEP funding in a prior semester. Can I apply for it again?
No. Students who have previously received HIEP funding are not eligible to apply for more. All HIEP funding is
one-time-only. EXCEPTIONS: Funding currently allows you to apply a second time if:
Please review the many other scholarships offered at Hutton Honors College at www.indiana.edu/~iubhonor/hds/granthd.php to see if your planned experience meets the qualifications for another award.
- if you were in the Kelley School of Business BUS G-256 Emerging Economies class.
- if you were in the Kelley School of Business BUS P-256 Business in a Flat World class.
- if your planned trip will be with BUS G-256 or BUS P-256.
- if your prior award was the HIEP Goldman Sachs Scholarship.
- My travel abroad is for an independent project or service/internship work. Can I apply for HIEP funding?
Yes, as long as your trip abroad is for an educational purpose and a faculty member supports your reason for travel.
- How are scholarship monies disbursed?
Scholarship monies are deposited into your Bursar account. They are applied to any outstanding balances, then disbursed to you by way of direct deposit or refund check. Checks are mailed to your current address. Please note: If you are packaged with need-based federal financial aid (for example, Stafford loans, Pell Promise grants), and you receive one of the Hutton Honors College's grants, awards, scholarships, or prizes, your award from the Hutton Honors College may not be paid-out in the form of cash funds (i.e., as money paid into your Bursar account), but instead, may be used by IU's Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) to reduce your student loan burden. If your federal financial aid is sufficiently large, i.e., is close to or already meets your cost of attendance at Indiana University, you must contact OSFA (e-mail: email@example.com) to learn how your HIEP funding may impact your aid and to determine whether your cost of attendance budget can be adjusted accordingly.
- I was awarded HIEP funding but I do not see it on my Bursar account. How long will it take for me to receive the funds?
Funds will not show on your bursar account until 10 days before the start of the term at IU. You may be able to see the scholarship as anticipated financial aid on your account. If the semester has started and it has been 2 weeks since signing for your award, please do contact us and we will look into the status for you. You can review additional information on bursar refund policies at bursar.indiana.edu/FAQ.php#RI1. Please note: If you are packed with need-based federal financial aid (for example, Stafford loans, Pell Promise grants), and you receive one of the Hutton Honors College's grants, awards, scholarships, or prizes, your award from the Hutton Honors College may not be paid-out in the form of cash funds (i.e., as money paid into your Bursar account), but instead, may be used by IU's Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) to reduce your student loan burden. If your federal financial aid is sufficiently large, i.e., is close to or already meets your cost of attendance at Indiana University, you must contact OSFA (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) to learn how your HIEP funding may impact your aid and to determine whether your cost of attendance budget can be adjusted accordingly.
- Can I have my refund check sent to a different address?
Yes. You need to change your current address with the Registrar's office to the new address. You may also consider setting up direct deposit.
- How much are the HIEP awards?
HIEP amounts range from $500 to $2500. The amounts are based on a total combination of GPA, essay, strength of recommendation,
destination, and duration of overseas program. There is a preference for students studying abroad for a semester or a year, as well as for students going to non-traditional destinations (ie. Africa, Oceania, Asia, South America, Eastern Europe, the Middle East).
- Why didn't I get HIEP funding?
We always receive more applications than we can afford to fund. Each application is carefully examined and decisions are based on merit. Some common reasons for denial include the following:
- incomplete application
- below GPA requirement
- not submitting all of the required forms and material
- weak essay
- not following instructions
- late application
- having a non-faculty recommender
- not following the correct checklist
If you do not see your question and answer above, please contact us at hiep[at]indiana[dot]edu or call (812) 856-1016