Skip to main content

Hutton Honors College

 — Indiana University

Grant Homepage Research Grants HHC Thesis Awards BFA & IMP Capstone Alternative Spring Break Grant HHC Financial Emergency Fund
Eligibility Requirements Hutton IEP Grants Pre-Professional Experience Internship Teaching Internship Creative Activity HHC Travel

Research Partnership Awards

Unlike the HHC's long-established Research Grants which help support juniors and seniors pursuing specific research or scholarly activities, Research Partnership Grants are intended to encourage freshmen and sophomores to become involved in research or scholarly activities in disciplines that evoke their interest.

Freshmen and sophomores who apply for these awards must have 3.4 GPAs overall to qualify for consideration.

Activities considered appropriate for these awards include:

  • serving as a research assistant for a humanities professor
  • working in a science laboratory in some capacity
  • helping a social sciences professor collect data
Ultimately, what an applicant does should be determined by conversations between the applicant and the professor for whom s/he will be working. Research Partnership Grant awardees should work approximately 6 to 10 hours weekly doing a semester. (Summer activities are flexible.) The goal of the program is to make freshmen and sophomore students aware of some important aspects of the research and/or scholarly activities professors pursue, and to help prepare students for more advanced research and scholarly activities as they pursue a major.

Fall Grants: 5 p.m. on the first Friday in October.
Spring Grants: 5 p.m. on the first Friday in February.
Summer Grants: 5 p.m. on the Friday before Spring Break.

These awards are for freshmen and sophomore students. Awards will be for up to $1000. Normal classwork associated with research and/or scholarly activities does not qualify for this grant. A student may only receive this grant once. Awards will be made on a competitive basis. A student's record, the intended activities, and the recommendation of the mentor will help guide the grant committee's decisions.

Upon completion of the period for which a student has received this grant, s/he must write a short essay describing what s/he learned about the research and/or scholarly activities in the mentor's discipline.

To apply for a Research Partnership Grant, obtain an application here.

Please Note: All applicants must attach an unofficial IUB transcript to this application.

NOTE: If you filed the FAFSA and are receiving financial aid (for example: Direct Loans, Pell Promise Grants, 21st Century Scholars Covenant), and you receive one of the Hutton Honors College's grants for scholarships, your award from the Hutton Honors College may not be paid-out in the form of cash funds (i.e., as money paid into your Bursar account), but instead, may be used by IU's Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) to reduce your student/parent loan burden or reduce your federal/state grant by the amount awarded to you by the HHC. To learn how your HHC award may impact your financial aid, please contact OSFA at

***Don't forget to read the General Eligibility Requirements.