"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
Honorvol: Hutton Honors College Community Service Program
Honorvol contributes to the Hutton Honors College mission of broadening and enriching the college experience of Indiana University Bloomington students by encouraging students to become active participants in the Bloomington and Monroe County communities through community service.
Honorvol provides community building opportunities for students to join with members of the Hutton Honors College and others in a variety of volunteer and social justice activities through local service organizations.
Membership is open to motivated IUB students who have a sincere interest in serving their community. Prior experience with community service is not required; all students, regardless of whether they are members of the Hutton Honors College, are encouraged to participate in our monthly events and meetings.
Examples of recent activities and events include:
- Habitat for Humanity Community Build
- Habitat for Humanity Restore
- Habitat for Humanity Spring Break Trip to Washington, D.C. (2015)
- Boys and Girls Club Halloween Festival
- Community Kitchen of Monroe County
- American Red Cross HHC Community Blood Drive Challenge
- City of Bloomington Bryan Park Creek Work Day
- City of Bloomington Community Gardening Project
- Local MLK "Day On, Not a Day Off" events
- Hoosier Hills Food Bank Meal Share Program
- Carnation sales to benefit local autism awareness and domestic violence service organizations
- Hilltop Garden and Nature Center
Additional local community service opportunities can be found through the City of Bloomington Volunteer Network