INDIANA UNIVERSITY BLOOMINGTON
PROFESSIONAL COUNCIL CONSTITUTION
- Section 1: Representation
Representation of professional staff located in Bloomington shall be delegated to a body of
twenty-one (21) elected representatives, the Bloomington Professional Council, hereinafter
referred to as the Council.
- Section 2: Purpose of Professional Council
The Council shall provide professional staff members with a means of representative
participation through recommendations and advice in the formulation of policies and in the
solution of problems affecting the general welfare of, the working conditions of, and the
services rendered by the professional staff of the University. The Council shall submit formal
proposals to the Vice President for Administration, who will confer and/or consult with other
necessary University officials and who will submit such proposals to the Board of Trustees, if
necessary. The Council shall also provide a medium of exchange of information relating to the
problems of the employees and those of the Administration. The Council shall also promote
the value of the professional staff in helping the University in the attainment of its goals and
objectives and shall encourage the opportunity for continuing professional education for the
- Section 3: Meetings
The Council shall meet at least once per month. Council meetings shall be open to
non-members as provided in the bylaws.
- Section 4: Policy Functions
All matters appropriate to the purpose of the Council may be considered by the Council. The
Council may act or may refer such matters to the professional staff.
- Section 5: Administrative Functions
The Council shall have administrative powers to carry out its functions and to adopt its own
- Section 6: Responsibility to Professional Staff
- A. The Council shall report its proceedings to the professional staff.
- B. On votes dealing with substantive matters, the reports shall include an accounting
of how the individual Council members or their proxies voted.
- C. At the request of a majority of the Council members present, any matter may be
submitted to the staff for consideration, either by mail ballot or at a special
- Section 7: Organization
- A. Officers: The Council shall elect the President, a Vice President, a Secretary, a
Treasurer, and a Parliamentarian.
- B. Elected Membership: The Council shall consist of twenty-one (21) professional
staff members elected by the professional staff.
- C. Ex-Officio Membership: Representatives of other employee groups; a
representative of the Bloomington Faculty Council, and a representative of the
Indiana University Student Association shall be ex-officio, non-voting members of
- D. Term of Office: Elected members of the Council shall hold office for a
three-year term as provided in the bylaws. An elected member shall be eligible to
serve two consecutive terms but then shall be ineligible for the next two elections.
- E. Manner of Nomination and Election: One-third of the members of the Council
shall be elected to the Council each year, in the manner specified in the bylaws.