David V. Baxter
Professor and Chair
Condensed Matter Physics (Experimental)
B.S., University of Alberta, 1979.
M.S., Caltech, 1982.
Ph.D., Caltech, 1984.
Postdoctoral Positions: Caltech, McGill
Office: SW 117 ; MESH 151 (CEEM)
Email: baxterd indiana.edu
My present research is focused in the area of neutron scattering, with an emphasis on the development of new neutron instrumentation and the application of that instrumentation to important problems in materials research. The instrumentation work is split between the development of novel neutron moderator designs and materials (in collaboration with scientist at several of the leading neutron facilities in the World), and a project devoted to instrumentation that exploits manipulation of the neutron spin to enhance resolution without sacrificing intensity and to provide novel probes of magnetic structure and dynamics in materials (in collaboration with Roger Pynn here at IU and Bill Hamilton at ORNL). Over the next several years, these techniques will be used to investigate the structure of fluids in confined geometries and hierarchical materials such as complex fluids, geological materials and components produced by Additive Manufacturing. The work on moderator designs and materials has also led to my participation in an international effort to measure the rate of neutron-antineutron oscillations using free neutrons.
- High Temperature Hall Effect in Ga1-xMnxAs, D. Ruzmetov, J. Scherschligt, David V. Baxter, T. Wojtowicz, X. Liu, Y. Sasaki, J.K. Furdyna, K.M. Yu, and W. Walukiewicz, Phys. Rev. B 69, 155207: 1-6 (2004). http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.69.155207
- "Self-assembled virus-like particles with magnetic cores," X. Huang. L. M. Bronstein, J. Retrum, C. Dufort, I. Tsvetkova, S. Aniagyei, B. Stein, G. Stucky, B. McKenna, N. Remmes, D. Baxter, C. C. Kao, B. Dragnea, Nano Letters. 7 (8), 2407-16 (2007). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl071083l )
- "Neutronic Design and Measured Performance of the Low Energy Neutron Source Target Moderator Reflector System," C. M. Lavelle, David V. Baxter, M. A. Lone, H. Nann, J. M. Cameron, V. P. Derenchuk. H. Kaiser, M. B. Leuschner, W. Lozowski, H. O. Meyer, R. Pynn, N. Remmes, T. Rinckel, W. M. Snow, and P. E. Sokol, Nucl. Instr. Methods, A 587, 324-341 (2008). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2007.12.044)
- "Microscopic Model for the Neutron Dynamic Structure Factor of Solid Methane in phase II," Y. Shin, W. M. Snow, C-Y Liu, C. M. Lavelle, and David V. Baxter, Nucl. Instr. Meth. A 620 382-390 (2010), arXiv: at.phys-0705.0824. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2010.03.109)
- "Magnetic virus-like nanoparticles in N. Bethamiana plants: a new paradigm for environmental and agronomic biotechnological research, X. Huang, B. D. Stein, H. Cheng, A. Malyutin, I. B. Tsvetkova. David V. Baxter, N.B. Remmes, J Lubiez-Verchot, C. C. Kao, L. M. Bronstein, and B. Dragnea. ACS Nano. 5, 4037-45 (2011). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn200629g.
- Superconducting magnetic Wollaston prism for neutron spin encoding, F. Li, S. R. Parnell, W. A. Hamilton, B. B. Maranville, T. Wang, R. Semerad, D. V. Baxter, J. T. Cremer, and R. Pynn, Rev. Sci. Instr., 85, 053303 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4875984
- Enhancing Neutron Beam Production with a convoluted Moderator, E. B. Iverson, D. V. Baxter, G. Muhrer, S. Ansell, R. Dalgliesh, F. X. Gallmeier, H. Kaiser, and W. Lu, Nucl. Intr. Meth. A762, 31-41 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2014.04.047
- Spin Echo Small Angle Scattering (SESANS) using a continuously pumped 3He neutron polarization analyser, S. R. Parnell, A. Washington, K. Li, Y. Yan, P. Stonaha, F. Li, T. Wang, A. Walsh, W. Chen, A. Parnell, P. Fairclough, D. V. Baxter, W. M. Snow, and R. Pynn, Rev. Sci. Instr. 86, 023902 (2015).http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4909544
- Experimental Search for Neutron-Antineutron Oscillations, D. G. Phillips et al., Phys. Rep., 612, 1-45 (2016).http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physrep.2015.11.001
- Compact Spherical Neutron Polarimeter using high-Tc YBCO films, T. Wang, S. R. Parnell, W. A. Hamilton, F. Li, A. Washington, D. V. Baxter, and R. Pynn, Rev. Sci. Instr., 87, 033901 (2016)http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4943254