Nuclear Physics (Theoretical)
B.S., Tsinghua University, 2001
M.S., Tsinghua University, 2004
Ph.D, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2008
I also hold appointment as RBRC Physicist Fellow at the RIKEN BNL Research Center. Currently my research is supported by the US National Science Foundation through a CAREER AWARD.
Office: SW 231
Phone: (812) 856-7796
Email: liaoji indiana.edu
I am a theoretical nuclear physicist interested in studying the structures and properties of matter under extreme conditions --- the hottest, the densest, and/or the most strongly interacting matter that once filled the entire Universe that can now be explored by high energy collider experiments in the laboratory as well as by astrophysical observation of compact stars in the sky. These studies cover a wide range of topics in nuclear physics, particle physics, as well as many-body physics. Specifically I've recently been working on: 1) the strongly interacting pre-equilibrium matter, at very early times during an ultra-relativistic heavy ion collision, and its thermalization during ``the-first-three-fermi'' (over c time) after the ``little bang''; 2) the emergent topological degrees of freedom which are deemed responsible for quark confinement and are expected to dominate the structure of matter at strong coupling; 3) the topological effects and possibly symmetry-violating phenomenon that may be observable in experiments.
- I am the author or co-author of 52 scientific publications. Most of these can be found at the SPIRES database by
CLICKING HERE .
Some selected papers are listed below.
On QCD deconfinement and magnetic monopole, and near-Tc quark-gluon plasma:
* J. Liao and E. Shuryak, ``Effect of Light Fermions on the Confinement Transition in QCD-like Theories,’’ Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 152001 (2012)[arXiv:1206.3989 [hep-ph]].
* J. Liao and E. Shuryak, ``Magnetic Component of Quark-Gluon Plasma is also a Liquid!,’’ Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 162302 (2008) [arXiv:0804.0255 [hep-ph]].
* J. Liao and E. Shuryak, ``Strongly coupled plasma with electric and magnetic charges,'' Phys. Rev. C 75, 054907 (2007) [hep-ph/0611131].
On far-from-equilibrium QCD matter & possible Bose-Einstein Condensation:
* J. P. Blaizot, J. Liao and L. McLerran, ``Gluon Transport Equation in the Small Angle Approximation and the Onset of Bose-Einstein Condensation,’’ Nucl. Phys. A 920, 58 (2013)[arXiv:1305.2119 [hep-ph]].
* J. P. Blaizot, F. Gelis, J. Liao, L. McLerran and R. Venugopalan, ``Bose--Einstein Condensation and Thermalization of the Quark Gluon Plasma,’’ Nucl. Phys. A 873, 68 (2012) [arXiv:1107.5296 [hep-ph]].
* X. G. Huang and J. Liao, ``Glasma Evolution and Bose-Einstein Condensation with Elastic and Inelastic Collisions,'' arXiv:1303.7214 [nucl-th].
On jet quenching and collective flow in heavy ion collisions:
* X. Zhang and J. Liao, ``Hard Probe of Geometry and Fluctuations from RHIC to LHC,’’ Phys. Rev. C 89, 014907 (2014) [arXiv:1208.6361 [nucl-th]].
* J. Liao and E. Shuryak, ``Angular Dependence of Jet Quenching Indicates Its Strong Enhancement Near the QCD Phase Transition,'’ Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 202302 (2009) [arXiv:0810.4116 [nucl-th]].
* J. Liao and V. Koch, ``On the Fluidity and Super-Criticality of the QCD matter at RHIC,’’ Phys. Rev. C 81, 014902 (2010) [arXiv:0909.3105 [hep-ph]].
On search for anomalous effects as signal of possible “environmental” symmetry violation:
* X. G. Huang and J. Liao, ``Axial Current Generation from Electric Field: Chiral Electric Separation Effect,'’ Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 232302 (2013) [arXiv:1303.7192 [nucl-th]].
* Y. Burnier, D. E. Kharzeev, J. Liao and H. U. Yee, ``Chiral magnetic wave at finite baryon density and the electric quadrupole moment of quark-gluon plasma in heavy ion collisions,'’ Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 052303 (2011) [arXiv:1103.1307 [hep-ph]].
* A. Bzdak, V. Koch and J. Liao, ``Remarks on possible local parity violation in heavy ion collisions,'’ Phys. Rev. C 81, 031901(R) (2010) [arXiv:0912.5050 [nucl-th]].
* J. Liao, ``Anomalous effects and possible environmental symmetry "violation" in heavy-ion collisions,’’ arXiv:1401.2500 [hep-ph] (for Pramana — Journal of Physics).
* X. G. Huang and J. Liao, ``Kinetic evolution of the glasma and thermalization in heavy ion collisions,’’ Int. J. Mod. Phys. E 23, 1430003 (2014) [arXiv:1402.5578 [nucl-th]].
* A. Bzdak, V. Koch and J. Liao, ``Charge-Dependent Correlations in Relativistic Heavy Ion Collisions and the Chiral Magnetic Effect,’’ Lect. Notes Phys. 871, 503 (2013) [arXiv:1207.7327].