Materials Science/Soft Condensed Matter (Experimental)
B.S., Trinity College, Cambridge, England 1966
Ph.D., Trinity College, Cambridge, England 1969
Postdoctoral Postion: AB Atomenergi, Studsvik, Sweden
Other Affiliation: Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Phone: Swain West 201 856-3873
Email: rpynn indiana.edu
Structures of complex fluids and biomolecular systems both in bulk and as films and membranes studied with neutron and x-ray scattering; magnetic structures of thin films and multilayers; advanced neutron scattering instrumentation.
- Dynamical theory calculations of spin-echo resolved grazing-incidence scattering from a diffraction grating: R. Ashkar, P. Stonaha, A. L. Washington, V. R Shah, M. R. Fitzsimmons, B. Maranville, C. F. Majkrzak, W. T. Lee, W. L. Schaich, and R. Pynn; J. Appl. Cryst., 43, 455 (2010).
- Neutron Scattering; Roger Pynn; in McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science and Technology, p 252, (2009).
- Neutron Scattering - A Non-Destructive Microscope for Seeing Inside Matter; Roger Pynn, pp 15-36 in Neutron Applications in Earth, Energy and Environmental Sciences (Liyuan Liang, Romano Rinaldi and Helmut Schober Eds), Springer, 2008.
- Birefringent Neutron Prisms for Spin Echo Scattering Angle Measurement; Roger Pynn, M. R. Fitzsimmons, W. T. Lee, P. Stonaha, V. R. Shah, A. L. Washington, B. J. Kirby, C. F. Majkrzak, and B. B. Maranville; presented at the International Conference on Polarized Neutrons in Condensed matter Research (Mito, Japan, September, 2008); Physica B 404, 2582-2584 (2009).
- Measurement of the vortex core in sub-100 nm Fe dots using polarized neutron scattering by I. V. Roshchin, C.-P. Li, H. Suhl, X. Batlle, S. Roy, S. K. Sinha, S. Park, R. Pynn, M. R. Fitzsimmons, J. Mejia-Lopez, D. Altbir, A. H. Romero and I. K. Schuller; European Phys. Lett. 86, 67008 (2009) .
- Suppression of Nuclear Polarization near the Surface of Optically Pumped GaAs; M.R. Fitzsimmons, B.J. Kirby, N.W. Hengartner, F. Trouw, M.J. Erickson, S.D. Flexner, T. Kondo, C. Adelmann, C.J. Palmstrøm, P.A. Crowell, W. Chen, T.R. Gentile, J.A. Borchers, C.F. Majkrzak, and R. Pynn; Phys. Rev. B76, 245301 (2007).
- Shear Induced Hexagonal Ordering Observed in an Ionic Viscoelastic Fluid in Flow Past a Surface; W. A. Hamilton, P. D. Butler, S. M. Baker, G. S. Smith, John B. Hayter, L. J. Magid, and R. Pynn; Phys. Rev. Lett., 72, 2219 (1994)
- Diffuse X-ray and Neutron Reflection from Surfaces and Interfaces; S. K. Sinha and R. Pynn, in Local Structure from Diffraction, S. J. L. Billinge and M. F. Thorpe eds: (Plenum Press, NY, 1998)
- Ordering of filamentous proteins and associated molecules through confinement in micro-arrays; N. F. Bouxsein, L. S. Hirst, Y. Li, C. R. Safinya, Z. Abu Samah, N. MacDonald, R. Pynn; Appl. Phys. Lett., 85, 5775 (2004)
- Neutron Spin Echo Scattering Angle Measurement (SESAME); Roger Pynn, Michael R. Fitzsimmons, Helmut Fritzsche, Marita Gierlings, Janos Major and Andrew Jason; Rev. Sci. Instrum., 76, 053902 (2005)
- Microchannel Systems in Titanium and Silicon for Structural and Mechanical Studies of Aligned Protein Self-Assemblies; L. S. Hirst, E. R. Parker, Z. Abu-Samah, Y. Li, N. C. MacDonald, R. Pynn and C. R. Safinya; Langmuir 3910, 21(9), (2005)
- Micelle to vesicle transition of an iron chelating surfactant, Marinobactin E; Tate Owen, Roger Pynn, Jennifer Martinez and Alison Butler; Langmuir, 21, 12109 (2005)
- Hierarchical Self-Assembly of Actin Bundle Networks: Gels with Surface Protein Skin-Layers: L. S. Hirst, R. Bruinsma, R. Pynn and C. R Safinya; J. Chem. Phys., 123, 104902 (2005)
- Vector Magnetization Depth Profile of a Laves Phase Exchange Coupled Superlattice obtained using a Combined Approach of Micromagnetic Simulation and Neutron Reflectometry; M. R. Fitzsimmons, S. Park, K. Dumesnil, C. Dufour, R. Pynn, J. A. Borchers, J. J. Rhyne, and Ph Mangin; Phys. Rev B73, 134413 (2006)