6th Annual SustainIU: April 6-12th, 2013
Theme: "Supply Change--The Intersection of the Environment and the Economy"
As events are scheduled and finalized, they will be listed here and posted on the SSC calendar.
Just a reminder that SustainIU will be held from April 6th - 12th. Member organizations are highly encouraged to develop/collaborate on events in conjuncture with the week. If you have any suggestions or if your organization is interested in hosting a SustainIU event please email Faith Liveoak, the SSC Projects Coordinator at fliveoak(at)indiana.edu as soon as possible.
April 6th: Sustainability Leadership Summit
- When: Saturday, April 6th 11:00-2:00 p.m.
- Where: Grand Hall, Neal Marshall Center
- Sponsor: IU Office of Sustainability
April 8th: IU Steam Plant Tour
- When: Monday, April 8th, 4 PM
- Where: IU Physical Plant (10th St and Fee Lane)
- Sponsors: Coal Free IU
April 9th: Bike to Uganda
- When: Tuesday - Thursday, April 9th - 11th, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Where: Clock Tower behind Woodburn Hall
- Sponsor: Building Tomorrow
- Event Description: Building Tomorrow is a social profit organization empowering youths to spread awareness about the state of education in sub-Saharan Africa. We raise funds to support education infrastructure projects in Uganda, where less than half of all children complete primary school. 100% of the funds we raise go directly to construction materials for these schools. Our college chapter is currently about 2/3 of the way to sponsoring a Building Tomorrow Academy. We hope to top off our fundraising efforts through our spring fundraiser, Bike to Uganda. Bike to Uganda is our challenge to the IU campus to bike the distance from Bloomington to Uganda (7,000) miles on stationary bikes. This year, we are racing the Purdue chapter to bike the 7,000 miles and raise $7,000. Help us beat Purdue!
- Event Webpage: http://pages.buildingtomorrow-mail.org/biketouganda?chapter=iu
April 9th: Green Cyber Infrastructure Building Tour
- When: Tuesday, April 9th 1:30 p.m.
- Where: Cyber Infrastructure Building (CIB)
- Sponsor: Graduate Professional Student Organization
April 9th: Everglades of the North Screening (Filmmakers will speak after screening)
- When: Tuesday, April 9th 7:00 p.m.
- Where: Kelly School of Business (UG Side), Room 111
- Sponsors: IU Alumni Production, Environmental Law Society, Envtl Management and Sustainable Dev'lpmt Association
- Event Description: The Everglades in Northern Indiana? A 57-minute documentary detailing the loss of one million acres of wetlands in northern Indiana at the turn of the 20th century will be shown followed by a discussion with two of the filmmakers, one of which is an IU grad. Please come out to learn a bit more about how Indiana lost one of the most biodiverse areas in North America and what goes into producing and directing an environmental documentary. There will be free BAKED! cookies and milk at the event!
- Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/177818205704121/
April 10th: Platforms in Sustainability Workshop
- When: Wednesday, April 10th 7:00 p.m.
- Where: Ballantine Hall 139
- Sponsor:IU College Democrats
April 11th: Sustainable Food Workshop with Chef Orr
- When: Thursday, April 11th 4:00 - 5:30 p.m.
- Where: FarmBloomington
- Sponsors: Slow Food IU, Students Producing Organics Under the Sun (SPROUTS), E-Force (Environmental Force at Collins LLC), IUSA
- Details: Limited spots available, email iubssc[at]indiana.edu for details
April 11th: OxJam Benefit Concert
- When: Thursday, April 11th 8:30 p.m.
- Where: The Bishop
- Sponsor: Oxfam IU
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/271231343012021/?ref=22
April 12th: Arbor-Earth Day Tree Planting
- When: Friday, April 12th 10:00 a.m.
- Where: Dunn Meadow, by Franklin Hall
- Sponsors: IU Office of Sustainability, Integrated Program in the Environment, Student Sustainability Council, Campus Division
- Event Description: Finish up SustainIU Week with faculty, staff, students and community member planting trees in Dunn Meadow. All participants will receive free breakfast from Bloomington Bagel Company, as well as an insulated water bottle, courtesy of the Student Sustainability Council.
- Register Here: Electronic registration form
Click here for a list of 2012 SustainIU events.