Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extension for Lesson 1.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becky Noble

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Extension for Lesson 1.5 Reply with quote

An activity that my students enjoy at the beginning of the year is contributing to the "Classroom Fun Facts" bulletin board. I set this board up before schools starts. At first, all it has is the title. We gather data about the members of our class and then compute the data. In this way, we learn some very interesting "fun facts" about our class. For example, together, our class in 221 years old. We type up each fact for our bulletin board, and various students illustrate each fact. (The cake with 221 candles is a favorite illustration of mine.) The activity can be used as an extension of the analyzing and displaying data lesson in 1.5. In this lesson, students complete a tally chart showing how many letters are in first and last names. We used this information to find out that our class has 258 letters in our first and last names. For some facts, we went one step beyond figuring the fact. For example, after we learned that together our class has 21 cats, we figured out that that would be 84 cat legs in all. I let the class decide what fun facts they want to know. We have done class height, class shoe size, total number of siblings, total number of fingers, total number to televisions, etc. The great thing about this is that you can add to it all year.
Sharon Kramer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be a fun activity for all of your 3rd grades to do. You would be able to do lots of comparing with other classes. I bet the students would enjoy adding up all of the numbers to get one grand total. Just a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: