Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Partner Match

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Greetings!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean McCleary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Partner Match Reply with quote

When I do the activity partner match for the first couple of times in my classroom I use two different colors of posterboard. Doing this allowed my students to not only realize that their partner would have a different color than they had, but also gave them they ability to see the difference between their strip of posterboard and their partners if it was not an exact match. After using different colors for awhile we switch to all the same color. Using two different colors at first seemed to give my students a better understanding for the game.
Kathy Kamp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean,
I never thought about that. My kids have a little trouble finding their partners also. Especially early in the year.

Kathy
Karen Leff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Clock partners is another idea for different partners Reply with quote

i use the clock pattern in the back of the EM journal third grade and sit down with some info on each student's ability levels in Math, Spelling, and Reading. I use an empty gradebook grid and begin to pair students with each other in these areas. One set for same Math ability, different Math abiltiy, same Reading, differing Reading, same Spelling, differing spelling. Then I choose a time on the clock for each item and write it down so I remember on my chart and when we play a Math game for instance, I will usually pair same ability together and they may be listed as the 3 o'clock buddy. At 6 o'clock, I may write the partner's name that is a different ability level for Math and I may call this time when I need students to do some remediation with students who are struggling. The kids love this and it helps them to get to work with different partners and is a quick way to get them into partners and vary who they work with, needless to say it can also help them with their time and clock skills. I usually write the partners names on each of their clocks made out of tagboard after the first 6 or 8 weeks of school after I have gotten to know them a little better. They keep the clocks in their working folder and enjoy pulling them out to see who they get to work with on each different activity or game I assign.
Karen Leff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Greetings! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: