Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vocabulary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Greetings!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlynn Malone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: vocabulary Reply with quote

As we reviewed ISTEP scores and tests, we found that sometimes students know the information but not the vocabulary. So on my Math vocabulary board, I put vocabulary that means the same thing. For example I have a paper that says, number sentence is the same as number model is the same as equation. ISTEP used the word equation and some of the students didn't know what that was. Equal, equivalent and congruent are similar too and unit and label.
Karen Leff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Math Vocabulary Board Reply with quote

That sounds like a great idea, Carolyn. Can you give me a little more details? I just started using a concept voc board and I have one sheet of paper for subjects other than reading to connect writing and spelling. On my Math sheet, I have written key words from the chapters I am teaching and the children are supposed to try to include these words into their wriiting. Is there some way I could continue with what I am doing and maybe color code the words that are synonomous with each other? Any ideas on this are welcome. It seems to be a matter of space in my room for all the words, charts, etc that I want to display.
Thanks for your help,
Karen
Carlynn Malone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like color coding things too. I think that would be great. Or put words with similar meanings in a row. unit-label: number model, number sentence, equation: equal, equivalent, congruent: base tens, unit-cube: and long-rod. We have word books in our class. It is pages with commonly used words in it. I think next year I will add a math page. I have them alphabetical but in the back we have a color page, family words page and a birthday word page. It is great to share ideas.
Karen Thompson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: color coding/math vocabulary Reply with quote

Carlynn, tell me more about your math book. I am the queen of color coding stuff! I have math words on my closet door, but I like the idea of color coding words that mean the same thing. Does every child have a math book of vocabulary? I would like to try that with my first graders. Might as well get them headed in the right direction for ISTEP! Karen
Carlynn Malone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen,
I don't know for sure. I got the idea from Karen from Ft. Wayne. She said she had a book for vocabulary. We have a word book. We have a page for each letter of the alphabet. Then extra lines to add new words the students need for their writing. Then in the back we have a page for family words, birthday words, math words, color words, and number words. It helps the students to loook up words, pre dictionary skills. Then I would use highlighters or light colored crayons. Have the children highlight the words that were synonyms. If you used a three ring binder, you could add more pages and dividers, you could make a math section. Other pages could be for antonyms, synonyms, homophones, compound words, and contractions. this really helps to integrate the curriculum.
Karen Thompson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlynn, thanks so much. I like the idea of a word book. I might wait until after Christmas break before I do it so I have some time to think it through. I would like my kids to have something to keep in their writing folders. Ideas are brewing! Karen
Melinda Athey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: vocabulary Reply with quote

At the beginning of each unit, I give my class a list of the vocabulary words. Using index cards, they make a set of vocabulary cards and keep them in ziploc bags. They are kept in their math folder for studying during free time. At the end of the unit they are given a quiz.
Kathy Landis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that several of my students ask the meaning of words such as congruent. I know they talked about this concept in second grade, and I could tell that they had heard the word before, but just couldn't remember what it meant. It has helped me to see how important vocabulary development in math really is. I like the idea of color coding synonyms, because often the children know the concept but aren't familiar with the terminology that is used on the ISTEP test. We are on unit 6 - geometry right now. There are lots of vocabulary words in the unit. I think I'm going to try a word book for this unit. Thanks for some great ideas!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Greetings! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: