Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transition from the previous grade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iucme
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Transition from the previous grade Reply with quote

Students in last year's class were not taught math with Everyday Mathematics. Some of the mathematics content is different than what was taught then. How can I adjust?
Paulette Tapper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: previous year non-EM Reply with quote

As this post is so "old", I'm sure you've worked it out already, but in case we have new viewers with similar concerns...I was in the same boat last year, and this year's class will also enter without the benifit of EM experience.
I did not find it to be any problem in grade three, though it did probably effect my pacing in the beginning somewhat. The children love the games, manipulatives..especially slates and scrolls so much the "gaps" don't exist. The only time it seemed to be an issue was the program's expectations of secure goals that should've been taught in grade two. ( for example median, I had one student who knew that term and how to find it. I did any math boxes with median together initially and "taught" it as we went, never scoring it until my class had become very familar with the term.)
My concern would've been my eager mathematicians going to a non-receptive EM teacher the next year. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: