Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telling Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Teacher's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jennifer Ricks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Telling Time Reply with quote

Some of my second grade students are having trouble with telling time. Does anyone have any unique suggestions on how to put more telling time practices into center time? I give them worksheets and clocks to practice with during centers. I just thought that maybe someone had a more exciting approach!!! Thanks
Karen Thompson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer, when I taught second grade EM, I kept a container of popsicle sticks handy. Each stick had a student's name on it. Every so often, I would pull out a stick and ask that student to tell me the time on our classroom clock. If they could correctly do it, I left the stick out. If not, it went back in for another try later. My students sat in groups of 4 or 5, and for each person who answered correctly, I would award his/her team some points. They really loved that! Of course, you can work it so that the struggling students have a chance when the clock is on the hour or half hour, and the better students try the more challenging times. This worked for me. I hope you get lots of ideas! Karen
Brynn Strahan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: time Reply with quote

In first grade we played Time Match - similar to memory/concentration. When we do centers or explorations, we always have that as one of our stations. I teach second grade this year and it is much eaiser for them to play than it was last year. I also found a book that had a little time memory game in it that they could cut out and keep at thier desks to practice when they finish work. Let me know if you need a copy of it sent to you. Hope this helps!
Amy Sweeney

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my classroom we also do a clock activity during calendar. I fudge and make sure that a struggling student usually does this activity. We also play prize time. I cover up our classroom digital clock. I put a sticky with a different time on each students desk. If they bring their stickly at the correct time they when a prize. Talk about a reason for practicing how to tell time! My whole class improved the second time we played the game.
Sara Ann Marlow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: telling time Reply with quote

I can tell you that keeping a cardboard clock on the wall where we line up each day has done wonders for us. Whenever we line up for recess or to go home etc. I say "What time is it?" Then the kids look at the clock and they all tell me the time. Later on, I will have children come up and I will say, "It is 10:00, can you show that to me? " Then the child will actually do this. Just the everyday repitition is great! I did not do this the first year & I sure wish I had. I also have a Dr. Jean CD with Hickory Dickory Dock. I give all students a clock and we move the clock hands to the song. They enjoy it & it reinforces this skill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Teacher's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: