Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Measurement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Fahl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Measurement Reply with quote

Our third grade students were having difficulty with inches to feet and feet to yard conversions. I revamped a first grade game, Rolling to 50, into a third grade game, "Rolling to a Yard" and "Rolling to a Meter." The teachers and the students loved the game and we saw the light bulbs going on!
Each team of two players will need a die, a yardstick, three 12 inch rulers, and inch squares. Place the yardstick on the floor. Players roll the die and take that many inch squares. One student places their inch squares above the yardstick and the other student places their inch squares below the yardstick. When they get twelve inch squares, they "trade" for a foot. When they get another twelve inches, they "trade" for a second foot. The first student to 36 inches or three feet is the winner.
Adapt this game for meters using centimeter cubes, decimeter place value blocks, and meter sticks.
As we played the game, students announced how many feet/inches or centimeters/decimeters they had.
Marcia Rutell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was preparing for game night I read your entry - your original game. I am writing to tell you that I finally had time to introduce this game to my class - no for game night though. We too are having conversion difficulties as well are simple measuring from zero. The kids certainly watch for those details in the game. They loved it! Thank you!

I play this same game with the facts. We use the individual wraps of Sweettarts and strips of paper with sums, differences, or products. They they take turns rolling the dice (2) to match the answer. We use the candy to mark our answers either above or below the answers. Once you have a candy on each answer you continue to roll the dice and now eat the candy from each answer. The first one to eat all the candy from the game sheet wins! Yeah! Then and only then can the partners eat all the remaining candies! (about 15 minutes)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: