Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reflection on First Math Modeling Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Mathematical Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerome Tennis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reflection on First Math Modeling Project Reply with quote

I worked with Frank Holley and Jorge Frank on the first project. We decided to have our students be FedEx drivers and deliver 8 packages throughout Terre Haute. The students had to locate the points, measure the route to 1/16 inch and write about their route. From the very beginning what I thought would be simple, turned into a very hard project for my students. I made sure they could measure and then turned them loose. None of the students knew what to do. They did not start from the FedEx building and tried to begin where the farthest delivery was from FedEx. I had to help the students with this problem and got almost nothing as far as a written explanation about their choice of route. I was disappointed in myself (I didn't anticipate the problems my students would have and had a couple of points in the problem that were not on the map) and in them. In fact I told the members of our group about my disappointment during the October meeting. A ray of sunshine came from Paul when he said that everything I did was OK, to use it as a learning experience and that perhaps my students needed extra guidance. I felt a little better and did try it again with a few modifications. More about the 2nd try later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Mathematical Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: