Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

100th Day Activity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Kindergarten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrienne Harrington

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: 100th Day Activity Reply with quote

To celebrate 100th Day, I read The Wolf's Chicken Stew by Keiko Kasza. Many of you are probably familiar with the story that deals with a hungry wolf and many baby chicks. I modified Activity #214 Number Hunt and the Number Chart with two batches of paper chicks labeled 1-50 and 51-100. I had a parent volunteer use the spring chick die from our letter press machine to make the chicks. We placed 50 chicks on a round plastic tablecloth and the class tossed them into the air. The children scrambled to collect a pre-determined amount of birds. We then used a large blank pocket chart to put the numbered chicks in the correct order. We repeated the activity to count to 100. The flying chicks were well mixed and it was fun to hear the children reading the different numbers that they had found.
Marsha Frey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Wolf's Chicken Stew Reply with quote

Love your creative idea Adrienne! I'm going to try that and then use it as a center activity. I'm amazed at how proficient the kids are becoming with counting and reading and writing numbers.
Jamie Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: 100th Day Reply with quote

In first grade, I like to do some of the activities from the 100th day project. One of my favorite activities is giving groups of about 3 students baggies with 100 one inch squares of construction paper (that part is in the teacher's guide). The groups plan and make a picture of something with all 100 squares. I like to extend the activity by having the group write a story to go with their picture. To make sure everone participates in the story writing, each person is responsible for writing one of the sentences. The kids love doing this!
Jamey Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: 100 day/President's day with MONEY! Reply with quote

We also did a counting to 100 activity where I copied & laminated 100, $1 dollar bills, and hid them around the room while the children were in special. They then had to find all $100 and as they brought them to me they had to tally the number returned. We would then count our tallies to see how much money was returned until we had it all! They loved this and I told them we would do it again sometime. I am going to use it over President's day along with $5 dollar bills while teaching them about the President's on the bills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Kindergarten All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: