Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quadrangle / Quadrilateral

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Assessment Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Howard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Quadrangle / Quadrilateral Reply with quote

I was using the Assessment Assistant CD today to create an assessment for Unit 6 - Geometry for 3rd grade. I noticed that the CD uses "quadrilateral" to name a 4-sided polygon. However, the Teacher's Lesson Guide and Student Journals almost exclusively refer to them as "quadrangle". The Indiana State Standards also use "quadrilateral". I frequently use both to refer to 4-sided shapes but am wondering what the majority of you use in your classroom discussions? Both words are difficult terms and I feel going back and forth confuses some kids. Any thoughts?
Jennifer Senkmajer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, quadrilateral is the term typically seen on standardized tests and in traditional texts. However, the EM authors have chosen the term quadrangle, so I did not feel comfortable just tossing it out. I used the terms interchangeably in class, just as I did with terms like "mean" and "average". There was some initial confusion for some students, but we focused on the prefix "quad" (as I am sure you do, too). Then we reviewed that "lateral" has to do with lines and "angle" has to do with ... well, angles. They did get it with reminders and brief vocab reviews. My math word wall also included both terms to remind them.

I am looking forward to others' comments and suggestions on the topic!

Jennifer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Assessment Strategies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: