Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Differentiating Instruction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Differentiated Instruction for Struggling and Advanced Learners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leah Richardson

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Differentiating Instruction Reply with quote

Differentiated instruction has been a big initiative in our district and others. I am wondering what ideas people have for doing this? One way I have address the issue of students who are always done quickly and ready for the next challenge is to create a learning contract. I made tic-tack-toe board of activities and students had to pick 5 of the 9 activities to complete within the month. I chose many of the activities from the "enrichment" sections and the projects in the curriculum. Any time students finished their math or morning work early, they went to the learning contract activities. The students did an excellent job and I felt that this was a great strategy to keep those high kiddos busy and challenged.
Sharon Kramer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Differentiated Instruction Reply with quote

Leah Richardson wrote:
One way I have address the issue of students who are always done quickly and ready for the next challenge is to create a learning contract. I made tic-tack-toe board of activities and students had to pick 5 of the 9 activities to complete within the month. I chose many of the activities from the "enrichment" sections and the projects in the curriculum. Any time students finished their math or morning work early, they went to the learning contract activities.
I see that this post is from last year but I hope we can get some discussion going on this topic. I'm wondering what grade level Leah did the chart with. Four of us in Vigo County are math liaisons and we are having questions from principals about what to do with advanced students. I have suggested making sure to look at Part 3 and extend the games. I'm wondering if first graders could do the chart. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Lori Thursby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Differentiated Instruction Reply with quote

Leah,
Thanks for such a great idea! Smile I too needed more for my advanced students. I have given them other math things to work on such as games or projects, but I think having more choice will improve their engagement. This year we have computers in our classroom. For those students that successfully complete their work quickly, I allow them to use the computers for additional fun with math games.
Roberta Dobrzeniecki

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Differentiated instruction Reply with quote

This past fall I was reading the discussion related to what kids could do when they are done when I read Leah's idea using the the tic tac toe activity sheet. I tried it in math as well as other areas across the curriculum. It worked very well, thanks. Exclamation Very Happy Smile
Patricia Wayman

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like an activity to put on my list for the next few weeks of the year. This will organize the activities that need to be worked on and give students a choice in what they select. Thanks for the idea!
Kathy Landis

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of the tic-tac-toe board. I decided to try it to keep motivation high during the last few weeks of school. Thanks for sharing a great idea.
Wendy Smith

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that first graders would be able to do the contract, and think it's fun also. I taught first grade for 5 years and if I were to go back, I would use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Differentiated Instruction for Struggling and Advanced Learners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: