Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best strategies for memorizing multiplication facts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emantine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Best strategies for memorizing multiplication facts Reply with quote

We started EM this year, but rather late, (Nov.). This year the students were not expected to start multiplication until third grade and unfortunately they are having a very difficult time learning their facts. I have tried math fact timed tests with prizes, I have provided math facts cards, the triangles with EM, different strategies such as having someone at home keep asking them 1 or 2 of the most difficult facts any time they see the child to keep reinforcing them, playing Around the World with multiplication, papers with 100 facts to practice at home, and all this to no avail.. I repeatedly ask them throughout the day, "What is 8 x 8?" etc. Any suggestions to get them to learn them? Hopefully next year the new third graders will have abackground of them and we will be learning them earlier. Help!!
Catherine Means

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: math facts Reply with quote

I think that having the background knowledge is a definite MUST for learning their multiplication facts. I taught 2nd grade last year and then looped with my class to 3rd this year. 2nd grade EM provides a solid foundation for learning mulitplication facts and that knowledge is apparent with my students this year. I think you will find your 3rd graders next year much better prepared, especially if they had EM in 2nd grade. It sounds like you are doing everything to help your students learn their facts. The incentives you are using are also a great idea! I have my students keep a set of fact triangles in their car so when they are going somewhere they can pull them out and practice for a couple minutes. Good luck!!
emantine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: multiplication Reply with quote

Thanks Catherine. I too am hoping that things improve next year. I am finding that they EM takes for granted that they know a lot of math skills that they don't have. We just started Unit 8 and whoa. My students are very weak in fraction skills. I do believe we can only go up next year. I like the math fact triangles for the cars. Great idea. Thanks.
Shari Barton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Motivation Reply with quote

There is a lot of factors that go into getting students to "learn their facts."

This is something that I started doing last year and modfied for this year and it has really worked for my students.

I give the EM timed test about 3 - 4 times a week. All but one is for practice and the students know this. The practice ones, after we have corrected them, go home for review and study-- in theory. The other one is the one I use for assessment.

If a student scores a 100% or a -1, they have FACT POWER! I give a really big speech about it & make a really big deal about it when it is first introduced and then I show the students this poster that I created on my computer. It is just a piece of paper that says "Mildred has FACT POWER" and has a picture of a golden trophy on it. It is silly and simple-- but oh, how they want that poster! Once they have it, it is proudly displayed on their locker outside the room. And they don't just get to keep it-- they have to continue to earn it with scores of 100% or -1.

This year I added one more component. If you have fact power and don't lose it for 4 weeks or more--- then you get an added little poster under your FACT POWER poster that deems you a FACT POWER MANIAC. This also allows you a few special priviledges in the classroom, such as going to a computer or working on a puzzle when you have your morning math work completed. This idea has also worked exceedingly well.

At this current time, I have 10 FACT POWER MANIACS. 2 students will FACT POWER and a few more that are close to it. I do have about 2 that I would put at a B/D level, but the overwhelming majority are doing GREAT!
Kathy Landis

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My log reader shared with me that she plays a multiplication game each day with her class- even if it is just for 5-10 minutes. I have tried to do this this year. I have to admit that I haven't been successful in finding the time everyday, but I have played the games a lot more often. It really has seemed to help. I also send one set of fact triangles home and have the children keep one in their desk.
Kim Curley

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Mult facts Reply with quote

Any time we have 5-10 minutes we play multiplication top-it. WE practice fact triangles and even play some multiplication games on the EDM website. I feel like this helps but I do believe that the kids have to practice at home and spend time outside of school working on these facts. I am not as concerned as I used to be just because our Indiana standard for third grade is to show mastery of 2, 5,and 10's!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: