Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Scores for 1st year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emantine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Test Scores for 1st year Reply with quote

We changed in Nov. to Everyday Math. My student's test scores are pretty low, though I do have a couple 100s now and then. Is this usual the first year? I am a little nervous that maybe it is me and the way I am teaching. Never had this problem before but I also have an inclusion room.
Lynn Beres

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Assessment Test Scores Reply with quote

You may find you will have to adjust how to use the tests. By the second semester there are not many goals that are secure which indicate that they likely have not mastered it yet. As a result, if I just take a percentage of the amount correct, most of the scores look pretty bad. I only had 1-3 kids get 100%s also and they were much above the others in class. The first semester I weigh the secure items more heavily and tend to be able to get a percentage to use as a grade. The second semester I just send the goal checklist with the test which shows which category they are performing in: secure, developing, or beginning with an explaination to parents that their child is expected to be in the gray shaded area at this time. I mark which items are incorrect on the test but do not equate it to a % or letter grade. I use slate assessments, short quizzes made with the assessment cd, game assessments, our districts quarterly assessment test, random math boxes,etc to try and give a fair grade for the report card. The EM tests are designed more as feedback to you as a teacher to help direct instruction. If the goal is not secure or developing secure, I generally move on. Many of the goals are laying the groundwork for the next year. It takes a while to get use to it. I just finished my third year and still struggle a little with it. I tend to have fewer grades in math then my other subjects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: