Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lattice Multiplication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dianna Lammey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Lattice Multiplication Reply with quote

When introducing lattice multiplication, I present it the first time on the overhead. I have found it is very helpful to use two different colors of markers – one for the factors on the outside of the lattice and one for the products inside the lattice as well as the solution to the problem. Once I multiply the first two factors and record the product, I cross out the two factors on the outside of the lattice and explain that I will not come back to them at all. I continue on and finish multiplying of all other factors following the same process. When it comes time to add diagonally, students don’t seem to make the mistake of adding in the factors from the outside of the lattice because they have been crossed out. Crossing them out and using two colors gives students a visual clue and helps them solve the problem correctly.
Dianna Lammey
3rd Grade
Melissa Sawyer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh darn, I thought I had an original idea in doing the same! Very Happy My students had trouble with that at first too, so since I had them mark out the original outside factors, they have gotten into the habit and it works out very well!
Amy Laswell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My students loved learning Lattice Multiplication. When I first introduced it I used different colors like Dianna did. I liked her idea of crossing out the numbers after they are used. I bet this will help my students. When I sent home the Homelinks for 9.9 and 9.10 I made sure the students knew what page this concept was covered in their Student Reference Book. I told them that they could be the teacher and to teach someone at their house how to do the Lattice method. I got a lot of positive feedback.
Kathryn Compton Spelman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Lattice Multiplication Reply with quote

My students enjoy exploring lattice multiplication as an alternative method for multiplying multidigit numbers. When modeling on the overhead, I also use different colored Visa Vis Markers and cross out the two factors on the outside to help my students solve the problems correctly. This little helpful hint eliminates a lot of careless errors in adding. Great minds think alike!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: