Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clock Fractions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda Bruene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Clock Fractions Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good manipulative to use with adding and subtracting fractions on the clock, as used in Unit 7, grade 4?
Randy Spencer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will usually use my analog clock from off the wall & my overhead markers. I will write on the clear face of the clock with different colored markers & group into sections. I will model with several examples. Later, I have noticed that some students will look at the clock when struggling with fractions.
Josephine Martinez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: clock fractions Reply with quote

Linda, I feel like I am the transparency queen because I have made so many of them. I made transparencies of math master p. 107 for my students to use in partner settings this year because like you, I felt the students needed something in hand to work addition and subtractions of fractions. This especially worked well with the subtraction because the students were able to show the fractions in two different colors and the overlap of the fractions. The students also use the transparency for probability circles. Caution: you may want to use a sleeve for the transparency to prolong the wear. This is all I can recommend until I think of something else.
Roberta Dobrzeniecki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: fraction clocks Reply with quote

Fraction clocks work great in second grade too! Clocks work very well for teaching about half past, quarter past, and quarter til the hour. Using a paper clock and folding it once in half and then into fourths I integrated into our daily calendar activities as well as our unit covering fractions. My students refer to our calendar bulletin board and the clocks in their math kits when they're stumped.
Kelly Dumas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Clock fractions Reply with quote

This is my second year with EM, however the first year for my fourth graders. We are working in Chapter 7 , fractions and yes, I am once again behind!!! My question is the clock fractions seem so difficult for the students and I must admit for me also. We've used extra time to explore using the small clocks, but it just seems to confuse them. The 1/4, 1/3. 1/12, 2/3/ etc. are understood. It was total confusion when we worked through Journal pages 202, 203, and math masters 108---that one was a nightmare!!! Should I just move on knowing that they understand the basic fractional parts? It is a secure goal----but not at this time for my class. Thanks for any tips concerning the clock fractions.
Linda Powell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Clock Fractions Reply with quote

Here's an idea for clock fractions that I got from a fourth grade teacher. Draw 6 "clocks" on a sheet of paper; label the hours 1-12 on each clock... I used 12 smaller circles within each clock circle, drawn along the outside edge of the larger circle so they touch each other. My larger circles were 6cm, and the 12 inner circles were about 1.1 cm. Label clocks 1/2, 1/4, 1/3, 1/6, 1/12, and 1; then draw lines (between the circles, not through them) to show the fractional parts. For example, for the 1/6 circle, draw lines between the 12 & 1; 2 & 3; 4 & 5; 6 & 7; 8 & 9; 10 & 11. You can "see" that 2/12=1/6; 2/6=4/12; ... Make copies for each student and laminate so kids can use sheet for a reference when adding and subtracting. Having all on one sheet seems to help. I've known some teachers actually write the fractions on their big classroom clock using Vis-a-vis markers, and watch kids refer to it throughout the year.
Karen Clark

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Clock fractions Reply with quote

Last year I emphasized the pattern blocks more than the clock fractions. This year I tried to provide more connections using the clocks. Overall, I believe the emphasis on pattern blocks that I used last year made it easier for my students to understand fractions. Every group of students is different, but I believe I'll emphasize the pattern blocks next time. However, I'd like to know if there are any success stories about clock fractions out there!
Rhonda McCort

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Clock Fractions Reply with quote

This was a hard concept for my kids! I actually took one of the overhead clocks and tore off the hands to it so that we could more easily mark on it with overhead markers with different colors. Also, I realized that part of the problem is that a lot of the students are simply having trouble just telling time. I have tried to be more deliberate at having us as a whole group note the time we started a journal page and recording it there. Hopefully, the more we deliberately look at the clock, discuss and record the time, some of those strugglers will grasp the concept.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: