Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lesson 9.7 in 5th grade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerie Priller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Lesson 9.7 in 5th grade Reply with quote

Hi all-
I have NEVER had success teaching Math journal pages 324/325/326- Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle this lesson. I would like to find a manageable way to complete these pages. Thanks Val Priller
Alisa Quest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: 5th Grade Lesson 9.7 Reply with quote

Each time I teach taught this lesson, I divided my kids into groups and told them that they were going to compete with the rest of the class to see how many expressions they could come up with. The first day, I gave them time during the lesson to work with their groups. The next couple of days, I gave them about 15 minutes to get together with their group and share/check their equations. My kids really enjoyed the challenge and the competition! Very Happy
Linda Powell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Four-4's Reply with quote

One teacher I know used this as a semester-long project, and posted the solutions on his wall. He would have kids work on 5 or so each week, kids would write solutions on construction paper and add it to the wall. He spent about 10 minutes each week discussing solutions. When I taught Four 4's, I would spend one class period, doing several with the students, then allowing the rest of the class period for them to complete as many as possible with partners. I then gave them a week to complete the assignment: 50=C; 60=B; 75=A. That seemed to take the pressure off having to do ALL of them, and most kids could come up with 75. Each day I would do 1 or 2 with them that they struggled with, or let kids share "clever" solutions. It seemed to work, and many students enjoyed this challenge. I also gave prize coupons for those who could do more than 75. Every year I had a few kids who did all 100, with a little help on the tough ones.
Julie Rosner Sigmund

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: 4-4s Problem Reply with quote

We work together the first day and for a minutes in each of the following lessons on the problems. Usually the problem for me is not getting them started initially but keeping them going. So, throughout the next week I give them the chance to ask for help with numbers that are stumping them. Then we make is a challenge. They can earn incentives for reaching a certain number of solutions. I don't take a grade on this. For example, this year my students helped decide that for 50 solutions, they could earn a pencil & treat; for 90 solutions, a pizza lunch with me. It has kept them working on it. This year I have two students who reached 100.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: