Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working with teachers who do not like Everyday Mathematics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iucme
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Working with teachers who do not like Everyday Mathematics Reply with quote

The majority of our staff is happy with EM. However, we have a small but vocal group who is very resistant and unhappy with the program. How do we work with these teachers?
Heather Lash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: From the Summer 2003 Leadership Workshops Reply with quote

The Grade 2 & 5 IMI teachers who participated in the Summer 2003 Leadership Workshops came up with this list of answers to the question about what to do with a small but vocal group who is very resistant and unhappy with the program:

1. Is it the program or is it the fear of change?
  2. Grade level team teaching
  3. Peer observation (unhappy teachers watch EM teachers)
  4. In – service – share games, algorithms, etc.
  5. Play games together
  6. “Give” pieces of the program
  7. Strong, vocal administrative supporters
  8. Mentor/peer group support
  9. Use IMI to support staff
  10. Slide a transfer form/ “exit slip” into mailbox
  11. Make use of EM website
  12. Share success stories
  13. Cognitive coaching
  14. Examples of student work
  15. Supportive data
  16. Students talk to classes
  17. Student demo lesson
  18. Talk it up in teacher’s lounge
  19. Show them small “good” pieces – scroll, point out the improvements
  20. Reference Book
  21. Videos
  22. Scientifically based research

To see the other questions that were answered in this Summer Workshop,
click on Search and enter the keywords "Summer 2003 Leadership Workshops"
Magdalena Wilson

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Working with teachers who don't like EM Reply with quote

I read your list of suggestions for EM fans to share with teachers who don't like EM. I agree with all of them, they are positive "good" pieces of EM that should encourage teachers to change their minds about EM. However, some teachers are so resistant to change that it would take another person teaching EM for them that would be the only good thing. Unfortunately, I have met some of those teachers and no matter what I say positive about EM they have dozens of responses. So after a year of this, I have decided to keep it all to myself. I will not be mentoring next year--it is too frustrating and depressing. I think I am the only one who likes and appreciates EM at my grade level. It is hard work to get all your materials together and to get used to to the program, but it does work. Teachers who are not experiencing success are probably not being faithful to the program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: