Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Area of our classroom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Greetings!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorothy Dixon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Area of our classroom Reply with quote

After we got done making our square yards out of newspaper, we used them to measure the width and length of our classroom. Then we took it one step further. I gave the children a 12x18 piece of manila paper. I cut up strips of colored construction paper into 1 inch strips. They had to measure the 12 inch strip into one inch segments and cut them out. Now they had squares that measured one square inch. Our room was 9 square yards across and 10 square yards long. Exactly the same measurement that are in our teacher's manual, coincidentally. The children were told that each square inch represented one of the square yards we made out of the newspaper. We laid the colored squares out on our manila paper in ten rows of nines, and glued them down. I had the children number each square to make sure they had nine in each row. They numbered all the squares consecutively to find the area of our room. As a challenge no two same colors could be next to each other, which also helped us see the number of different colors on our sheet. This activity helped them understand covering the area of the floor and also incorporated measuring with their rulers. Many of them have figured out how to find the area with out counting all the squares, too. They really are enjoying this unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Greetings! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: