Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Positive & negative numbers in everyday use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy Spencer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Positive & negative numbers in everyday use Reply with quote

I have just completed Unit 7. We used the number line, slide rule, along with the calculator for figuring problems with negative numbers. I was also able to show them on the number line what was happening when we subtracted. I was taught the rules for subtracting a negative number & accepted them without question. I had someone ask me why is it a positve when you subtract a negative number. Can someone share some practical examples that might occur with a student when subtracting negative numbers to get a positive?
Julie Rosner Sigmund

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: negative numbers Reply with quote

Randy,
This made me think. I am sharing one thing that came to mind. Hopefully I can explain it well online. When we are first teaching positive and negative numbers, one tool we use are the positive and negative counters. One thing that I tried to show subtracting a negative can give you a positive involves using the counters. I'll start with an easy example. Use 5 negative counters to show -5. Use these counters to first solve -5--5. The students would have the 5 negative counters. Then they would take away (-) 5 negative counters (--5) and get the answer of zero.
This second problem will be a little more complicated. In order to show a problem such as -5--6, the students will need to start with a way to show -5 using BOTH positive and negative counters. For example, they could draw 8 negatives and 3 positive counters to give a balance of -5. Then they could actually take away 6 negative counters. They would be left with 2 negative counters and 3 positive counters - by cancelling out, they would be left with 1 positive counter. So, -5--6=+1.
This was hard to describe without drawing a picture. I hope it makes sense. If not, remind me and we can talk about it at our next meeting in Indy.
Good luck!
Julie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: