Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3rd Grade Unit 8 Fractions--- HeLp!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shari Barton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: 3rd Grade Unit 8 Fractions--- HeLp! Reply with quote

My students had great difficulty with this unit. There is an awful lot of information stuffed into just 7 lessons. Part of the problem for my students lies in a lack of background knowledge. I tried to reinforce goals with extra review during Game Day and in morning work with the assessment CD. But come test day, the results were poor. I realize the goals for this unit are beginning & developing and B/D combo, but I would love some additional input / ideas on how to tackle this challenging unit. ThAnKs PeErS! Wink
Jeanette Krabill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: fractions --help Reply with quote

I am feeling the same way with Unit 8! There is so much packed into this little unit. I realize all the goals are developing and beginning/developing, but I felt that some of the lessons covered too many steps at once, so I broke them up into little minilessons, and am trying to take them just step by step. It is working much better now that I am adapting and choosing which problems I have them tackle. They are less overwhelmed and so am I. It remains to be seen whether they will do any better than yours did on the final assessment.
Paulette Tapper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: fractions...unit 8...grade3 Reply with quote

First let me congratulate both of you on your pacing! That's my major issue this year and last! I am not at unit 8 yet, but remeber it well from last year. While we were going through the unit I had great hope, then they bombed the written unit assessment...but as you already know, it is B/D skills in this unit.
As a fifth grade teacher two years ago, I assure you that your efforts will reap future benefits, though that doesn't help with parents now!
The class I had last year keep sending their current teacher to me to ask about activities and lessons that really stuck with them from third grade. Their scores may not have been terriffic then, but the concepts were given a lasting foundation, and the fourth grade teacher is overjoyed at their progress and interest level.
I have not experienced that part yet, as this is the first year any of our second graders have had EM. Hopefully next year that will help our scores and my pacing. I currently tutor grade 2 after school, and they have not reached fractions in EM yet, but have great geometry vocab. and concept knowledge...hopefully that will happen with fractions too.
I would suggest to trust the spiral not only in your current text, but across grade levels too. (my son in Kindergarten EM recognizes the frames and arrows templates, and knows what a trapezoid and a rhombus are by visual discrimination...my older sons hadn't had that in Kindergarten...imagine how "ready" he'll be in three years!) Talk to the second grade, find out when they will get to fractions....maybe team teach/peer coach a few lessons. Of course you can continue to review fraction concepts on your game days too. If you just want to raise scores, consider exit slips/quiz grades on a few of the developing skills with those third graders you have.
To sum up, keep in mind what they are "learning" doesn't always present itself with an easy assessment instrument. Keep anedoctal notes whenever possible...and use it in real life cross-curricular areas. We haven't reached unit 8, but we have discussed fractions a great deal when folding papers, studying moon phases (a quarter moon that looks like a half), in music notes, etc....also a big thing in grade five was always that all "halfs" are not the same....half of a Hershey bar and half of a Kit Kat are not the same!
Hope this gives some encouragement, if not ideas! Wink
Linda Thorne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: fractions/assessment Reply with quote

While I teach 2nd grade, I have had a similar experience with other units. Things seem to go well and poof, the assessment is a nightmare! What has benefitted me the most is to trust the spiral, keep forging ahead, and take time to note the progress on future math boxes, in which the skills are revisited. Usually at the end of the following unit, there are some assessment ideas which will reassess those previous troublesome areas. Or, I revisit one or two assessment options in which my class fared poorly. More times than not, the poroblems have resolved themselves. By this time, I can truly see which areas are still a problem and which students are experiencing real difficulties. Then I can pull individuals or small groups or we can set up a center or revisit a game.
Kris Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Unit 8 is hard Reply with quote

I have found that Unit 8 is a difficult unit for the students. I have relied on the assessment CD to give some short quizes to find out if the students are getting it. I also keep a couple of the homelinks from each unit to check the students to see if they remember the material. For example I will hand out a Unit 8 homelink as a quiz during my Unit 9 instruction to see if they still remember how to do the material. With the spiraling of the math boxes to help, I have found that they remember better this year.
Marcia Rutell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Unit 8 is difficult for all of us!! We must remember we are just reading the kids for 4th and 5th grade understanding of fractions. I don't really have a secure grasp of fractions in my adult years. It is okay for them not to be at mastery level. They receivded the vocabulary. They will have a better understanding in the years ahead. We are just laying some foundational work!!! Take a deep breathe!!!!!
Debra Bryant

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcia Rutell wrote:
Hello! Unit 8 is difficult for all of us!! We must remember we are just reading the kids for 4th and 5th grade understanding of fractions. I don't really have a secure grasp of fractions in my adult years. It is okay for them not to be at mastery level. They receivded the vocabulary. They will have a better understanding in the years ahead. We are just laying some foundational work!!! Take a deep breathe!!!!!

Unit 8 is very difficult. We spent a whole month on it. I also know its a beginning and developing goal. My problem is, I just want to make sure my class understands it. I want them to be ready for 4th grade. When you have some 4th grade teachers that expect the students to know everything and they don't; you hear alot of talk. We are getting more and more special needs children and parents that won't work with their children, that makes it hard. I do what I can and I collaberate with my colleagues.
Darla Frisz

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Unit 8 3rd grade Reply with quote

I too am frustrated with Unit 8. I checked the goals for the state standards and noticed EDM BDS goals are above and beyond the state requirements. Since this is our first year with EDM I am moving on. Next year should be much easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: