Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transparencies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Greetings!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josephine Martinez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Transparencies Reply with quote

I have found the need to make transparencies of many of the lessons in EM. Am I alone?
(Check out this post at http://www.indiana.edu/~iucme/emlog/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=729#729 to see how I use them.)
Randy Spencer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found it helpful to make a lot of overheads too. It seems to help me keep my pace too.
Diana Allen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also found it very helpful to make transparencies, as I use my overhead daily to demonstrate math. I try to be somewhat organized about it by keeping them in a folder next to my overhead, but more importantly than that, is that I write in my teacher's edition next to the lesson that I already made an overhead for that lesson so that I don't have to do it again next year. I don't always remember from year to year. I'm sure that doesn't happen to anyone else Smile
Just another bit of info concerning transparencies: I have also found that when I write on the transparencies that I make, they don't erase well and often the ink from the machine will rub off too. So keep that in mind when writing on the homemade versions.
Denise Penman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: transparencies Reply with quote

Yes!! I have made copies for almost every student journal page and several math masters. I've also made protractors so the kids can use the same tool that I'm demonstrating with. Using these copies are wonderful because I can't always copy some examples on the board as well as they are on the pages the kids refer to. (The transparency materials cost a lot of money!)
Dianna Lammey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Transparencies Reply with quote

I do use many transparencies. When introducing a new concept, I find it is easier for students to follow by looking at the overhead which coincides with the page in their math journal. I keep all of my transparencies filed in a labeled envelope by unit. This will make it easier next year when I need them. I like the idea of marking in my Teacher's Edition which transparencies I have already made.
Dianna Lammey
Mary Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Transparencies Reply with quote

I would be lost without my overhead and transparencies. We let our district know ahead of time that teachers would need to make many copies and transparencies especially this first year of adoption so they could plan accordingly. I have made a three ring binder with all my transparencies in it so I don't have to redo them every year. It helps the students so much when they can see what I am working on with them. Keep making them! They are very beneficial!
Michele Justus-Hobbs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Transparency Use Reply with quote

You are definitely NOT alone in needing to make transparencies!! I piloted last year, so this is my second year with the program. Over those 2 years, I have transparencied just about everything. It is very effective to have overheads of Math Boxes (especially in the beginning when you are modeling these for some students for the first time.), as well as for introducing many of the lessons and activities. To go a step further, I went to Kinko's Copies and had them slice off the binding of my Math Masters book and a copy of my journal 1 and 2 student editions. (It is very inexpensive.) I three-hole punched them and have them in binders now. As I make transparencies for these books, I just add the transparencies right along with the hard copy pages in the binder. As I need materials for a unit, I simply pull all needed pages/transparencies out of the binder, put them in a folder marked for that unit and keep it out while we are working on that unit. Once the unit is over, they go right back in the binder. It has proven to be a good organizational tool and space saver!! Smile So, transparency until you can't transparency no more! Smile Have a good end of the year!
Timothy Moss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Transparencies for modeling Reply with quote

Transparencies should be a part of the adopted program. I have many students who need the extra support and guidance that the transparencies provide. Many of the concepts and skills are beginning for my students since this is their first year in the program. I also use the transparencies when teaching small and large groups. The students enjoy completing them during center time or when they finish their work.
Patricia Wayman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Transparencies Reply with quote

During the first two years that I taught EM, transparencies were helpful. It took time to make, clean and organzise them. I now have a visual presenter in my room and this truly is what is needed to help students with EM and makes my life easier--more time for the other needed things to be completed to run a good lesson.
Darla Frisz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: overheads Reply with quote

I agree with Tim, I think the overheads should be part of the adoption. However, I had one EDM presenter that really did not like the idea of overheads when I asked. I just think it helps the children focus an the problem that you are working with. Being a visual person myself I have to see things before I "believe" them.
Magdalena Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Transparencies Reply with quote

No you not alone, Josephine! I have made transparencies for each unit and stored them in file folders. Next year all I have to do is pull out the file folder for the unit I teach. Teaching EM would be very difficult without transparencies and an overhead. The one thing I have not done is made transparencies for the student journal pages. A teacher once suggested that I do that but that seems a bit excessive to me. Maybe younger than third grade students would need that but so far my students at gr. 3 have been able to manage without.
Donna Elliott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Transparencies Reply with quote

I have transparencies for each chapter in the ED math program. Rather than write directly on them, I use a blank transparency to cover them and then write directly on that. It preserves the original transparency and allows me to feel safe that I can reuse the transparency year after year. I am going on year four with my tranparencies using this method and they are as clear and clean as the day I made them. I store each chapter's transparencies in a file folder and then they are ready to go when I get to that chapter.

Happy teaching Wink
Jennifer Senkmajer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: transparencies Reply with quote

In the first year or two of EM, it is really helpful to have transparencies. (I couldn't have survived without them!) However, as students and teachers become more comfortable with EM format, vocabulary and concepts, transparencies become less necessary. Philosophically, the authors of EM intend for the teaching of math to be more discussion-oriented with the teacher as more of a facilitator, which is why they do not include them in the teacher materials that schools purchase. When transparencies are used heavily for "the long haul", math instruction has the potential to become teacher-directed. The higher level thinking skills come from student-oriented discovery. That said, I do agree that transparencies can help some kids stay focused and I certainly do not advocate completely tossing them out! Math box follow-up seems to be more successful with transparencies, and some lessons do lend themselves to use of transparencies, too. I guess, as we all know, balance is best. Smile Happy teaching, and HAPPY SPRING!
Karen Clark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Transparency Management Reply with quote

If you're like me, you have lots of transparencies that you use with EM. One day I came up with a little management tool that may help you. Often, when the class was working on a problem together, several solutions were suggested and I would need to change what I had previously written. Sometimes this was a messy process. Then I bought a container of baby wipes and kept them with the overhead projector. They worked pretty well! Some brands are too wet or too soapy, but overall they work much better than the old wet/dry paper towel trick. Wink
Julie Compton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Transparencies Reply with quote

I use transpariencies all the time. It helps the students who have a hard time keeping up or are always falling behind. They are able to look at where we are and they do not get do frustrated. It takes a lot of time at the beginning to make all of the transpariencies, but it is well worth the time.
Smile
Julie
Kathryn Compton Spelman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I use the overhead daily, I have also found it helpful to make transparencies to model new math concepts. I keep each unit in a folder to help me with my organization and to keep me from making a transparency next year. I plan with the other third grade teachers, so between the three of us someone writes in their book that we made a transparency of a specific page.
Angie Kelich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Transparencies Reply with quote

I am completing my third year with 5th grade Everyday Math, and I've found that I have only needed a minimal amount of transparencies. I have made maybe 10 so my students could really see the same shapes and angles for Units 9 and 10 where we're dealing heavily with area of parallelograms and triangles and doing pan-balance equations as well as area and circumference of circles. I "live" on my overhead and chalkboard, and my poor hands would prove it! I love having my students come to either place to do their drawings and interpretations of the problems because I see that many of them are growing in the area of visual-spatial skills, and that's fun for me to watch. I also peruse the classroom a lot, so I don't want to be stuck at one spot with my plastic! Smile I find that the discourse taking place in my room is much richer if I am more mobile.
Ann Filler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a lot of transparencies also. They are great for teaching a new skill as it keeps the whole class focused on the screen as we move through the lesson. I have also used them for math boxes when there are several tricky spots and I want to use them to guide the whole class. Transparencies have also come in handy for the times that I have a substitute teacher. It helps the sub with pacing a lesson and the whole class is doing the same thing at the same time as well as giving the class input as to how to do things if the sub is not familiar with the EM program.(The students can often tell the sub how to do skills like the frames and arrows etc.)
One of the best helpful hints that I came across this year has been to buy a box of clear, 3 ring binder "page savers". After I make a transparency I put it in the clear page saver, and then put it in the three ring binder. I have the binder separated into units so that I have them in order and can find them easily the next year. It has saved a lot of time!
Rhonda McCort

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Management Reply with quote

I happened to observe one of our newest teachers in the building at the copy machine as she was making overheads of the journal pages. She has tore apart her journals (just like I've done with my masters), and she is making overheads of each page. Of course, that is a big task - and not a cheap one! But after the initial investment of time and effort, I feel that it would be very much worth it. I don't know how many times I have been teaching and wished I had an overhead of the journal page we were working on!
Tonia Harris

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Tranparencies Reply with quote

Yes, I have found that I use a lot of transparencies. When I use them, though, I try very hard to only allow volunteers to show thier work on the transparency and share their thinking (to meet the LA standard 7 - oral communication). When they write something that their classmates do not agree with, then I "take over" the reigns and ask students to direct me in redoing to problem. They have to share the "correct" strategy and lead us into the correct solution.
Brynn Strahan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with making transparencies, I tore all the math masters pages out and put them all in a section by unit. so in the beginning of the unit i have home links, math masters, assessment pages and then all my overheads I will need for the unit. This way when I am on unit 4, I have everything ready for me to go in the binder. It has really helped me stay organized.
Carlynn Malone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my transpencies in a three ring binder too. I put them in clear page protector. When I use them I leave them in the page protector and write on that. It usually erases better and protects my transparency. I too mark in my book T so I know it is already made. Some of the games I made and laminated so that I do not have to make them every year. Then I store them in 2 gallon baggies. One gallon is not quite big enough. Then on a sticker on the outside I put the unit and lesson numbers for which that game is used. I make that in my manual too. After I made the same game twice once. Also then the students ask to play a game at indoor recess sometimes. I also put a copy of the directions in the bag.
Kathleen Whelan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: transparencies Reply with quote

I spent a small fortune on transparencies. I copied each page and also put them in a three ring binder. Then thankfully my school got visual presenters. Most of the teachers have one in their room. I still had all of my transparencies so I gave them to a new teacher in first grade. The new teachers are still awaiting their presenters. She shares them with the other first grade teacher. They teach math at different times so they can both us the transparency. You might be able to split the cost between other teachers on your team. Also, I found cleaning them was a pain so I made it one of my jobs on my job chart. Each day one child was in charge of cleaning them off. It is just water and not very messy if you model for them how to do it. Another helpful idea would be enlisting a child from another higher grade to clean them during their recess.
Carlynn Malone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily our principal bought us transeparencies. I keep a roll of paper towels and a small spray bottle of water on my overhead stand. When we finish I spray the transparencies and wipe them off. It is quick and easy and I don't have to go back to it later. I also use this with other things that I laminate because I find dry erase markers are hard to get off laminated materials but transparency markers are not.
Karen Thompson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who feels like the Queen of Transparencies! I have made transparencies of many of the math journal pages, math boxes, etc. I didn't make transparencies last year, but Ihave found it so very helpful. I just clean them off right after we are finished, then keep them in a folder in order. Karen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Greetings! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: