Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do with the diversity within a classroom.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna Elliott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: What to do with the diversity within a classroom. Reply with quote

Question I am in a quandry. Within my classroom, I have 32 students who fall within the range of needing constant attention and help to those who are ready to move on with concepts and who are often bored waiting for the next task. I am not sure how to maintain an equal balance in the class. I already tutor two mornings a week and pull small groups for intimate remedial practice whenever I can as well as providing as many opportunities for challenge and problem solving as possible, but I can't seem to meet all of the diverse needs of my class. I refuse to allow the "high" students to work on their own because of the complexity of the skills being covered and the need for direct instruction and I also refuse to let them be used as "teachers" unless they wish to be class experts. I need some suggestions as to how to manage all of the needs in one room.
Becky Noble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: students at different levels Reply with quote

I am a third grade teacher, and I have struggled with this problem as well. I agree that students shouldn't work ahead on their own because they too need direct instruction, but they should be able to practice skills they've already learned. Sometimes during a "game time" when students are working in partners playing a game that has been taught, I find that to be a good opportunity to pull small groups and practice something that they are having trouble with. Also, I am one that does not like to go on until I feel they have all mastered the skill, but I now have learned to trust the spiral. If they are having trouble with a skill that is beginning or developing, I try not to dwell on it. I know that the skill will be revisited.
Jennifer Ellis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely helps to know which skills are secure because it does help you to know when to move on. I have students do peer tutoring, also. This way my higher students are able to use their higher level thinking skills to explain or "reteach" to the students who are struggling with the skill. I also use the Reteaching section of the lesson for students who are struggling. Anytime I have a parent volunteer, I have them pull students out who are struggling in a skill. Keep pulling small groups and continue to trust the spiraling in EM. I know it can be so frustrating though Very Happy
Linda Thorne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: diversity Reply with quote

While not a complete solution by any means, I do allow my more advancedsecond graders to act as helpers. My stipulation, though, is that they may not give answers. They must use manipulatives or pictures to help te tutoree solve the problem. Research has shown that the tutor receives even more benefit than the tutoree. So, I don't mind this arrangement. If they can successfully teach a strategy to solve the problem, I can feel confident that they truly understand what they are doing.
Leah Richardson

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Diversity in the classroom Reply with quote

I have created learning contracts for about 8 of my higher learners. Prior to a unit, I gave a pretest. Anyone who scored an 80% or above got a learning contract, because I could tell that those students would need less support. The contracts are a folder with a tic-tack-toe board of 9 activities I made up or pulled from the enrichment and project sections of EDM. I also included computer websites and programs as activity choices. I included directions for each activity and met with the group to do an overview of what I expected from them Each child chose 5 activities to complete by the end of the unit. Each day during math, if these students finished early, they could work on their learning contract. Since normally these kiddos have been early finishers and don't need a lot from me, this gave them something motivating, fun, and productive to do while it frees me up to work with kids who take longer and need more support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: