Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISTEP - IN Standards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Implementing the Indiana Academic Standards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: ISTEP - IN Standards Reply with quote

After looking at how my 4th graders did on the ISTEP test, I saw that we needed to work on vocabulary and writing explanations. I purposely target and review all vocabulary, and I have also started having the children write how they came up with an answer. They can expect to do at least one of these essays on every unit test, and we also do it with many assignments. I began by telling them for example that in writing their explanation of a multiplication problem, they had to use the words "product", "factors", and "multiply", but couldn't use the words "times" or "answer". We then read and critiqued them together, and it was amazing how their vocabulary usage has improved. We even did a problem such as (6*4)/(3 * 1) = ? plus writing an explanation while the superintendent of our district was observing. He was impressed with their use of vocabulary and writing ability!
Julie Pearson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas! I noticed the same thing when we looked over some of the problems on the ISTEP. When students do their math message in the morning, I usually add on to the end of it "Explain how you got your answer." A lot of times the message in the book will just say "Be prepared to explain how you got that." If I put that, they put down anything and just hope that they won't get called on when we go over it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Implementing the Indiana Academic Standards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: