Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Hallway Math"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sara Filler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: "Hallway Math" Reply with quote

I do this activity sometimes while we are waiting for everyone to get finished at the bathroom. When a student comes out of the restroom if the are standing quiet in their line, I will hand them a pattern block. If they start talking they lose their block. When we get back to the room, the kids work at their table and see what they can make as a group with their pattern block. It's an incentive to behave and also another time to quickly incorporate math. The kids who lose their block once usally don't lose it a second time, because they want to be a part of the group when they get back in the room to make thier design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mandee May

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my class is in the hallway walking to specials, using the restroom or waiting for recess to start we do the mental math and reflexes from our lesson. I will also use these times to do minute math or review concepts that we've just learned in class. This helps free up some time during our math class plus it keeps the kids busy in the hallway.
Rhonda McCort

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Mental Math and Reflexes Reply with quote

I have typed the Mental Math and Reflexes on postcards and placed those cards in a small photo album. By placing the album in a strategic place such as by my overhead, I can easily open it up to the current Mental Math or even refer to a past one. Initially, it takes some time to type them, but it has helped me to take advantage of spare moments without having to go to my Teacher's Manual.
Rhonda Pontinen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Hallway Math Reply with quote

Sara, I really like your idea of giving students pattern blocks in the hallway. This year my students are having a real hard time being quiet in the hallway. I'm going to try your pattern block idea and see how it goes. I'm really excited about this.
Valerie Priller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Daily Mental Math Reply with quote

I love the mental math reflexes! My students love them too. Everyday we pick a new way to assess such as most correct, most improvement, etc. I give a very small treat- and these kids work like crazy. I also throw in a review mental math each day such as exp. notation, standard form etc. The students thrive on this part of the lesson each day

Val Priller Smile
Rhonda McCort

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Mental Math Reply with quote

I admit - the first year I piloted EM, I tended to skip the mental math section just because I was so overwhelmed by the lesson. Then last year I was very deliberate about including it and realized how much it benefited the spiral. This year I continue to be deliberate but I have changed the time of day I focus on it. Initially, I did it in the math block, but now I do it in the mornings between the morning work (which is more language arts oriented) and our Social Studies class. It's a nice break, and the kids and I both enjoy it even more!
Charlotte Riechers

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: mental math Reply with quote

My class loves mental math also. We are back to MM beginning our lesson, but I have tried changing it to morning also. My only problem is that I still go beyond the 3-5 minute recommended many days.
Cynthia Darlington

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Math Messages Reply with quote

I put all of my Math Messages on charts. This way I don't have to write them each day, and I can just flip to the next page. Actually I have my executive assisstants do this as part of their jobs in my mini economy. I can have them again for next year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: