Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assessment Assistant CD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shari Barton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Assessment Assistant CD Reply with quote

Don't forget this valuable tool! It is useful in so many ways & has helped me numerous times. Before I begin each unit, I preview the exam and the goals to know what kinds of things my students will be asked to do and to know how to do by the end of each unit. Based on my students abilities & what I remember was difficult for my students from last year, I prepare practice problems that I interject into our morning math routine. Sometimes it is a problem I just have on the overhead/chalkboard but sometimes I print problems out & cut them into strips with just one or two problems on them. I love the way it adds to the review of the given goal -- I love the way it helps me assess who is in need of more one-on-one assistance for a particular goal as well.

After a particularly difficult lesson, when I see more than a few "deer in headlights" faces, I use the CD to provide extra practice there too.

After Unit 6 was completed, I gave my students the Mid-Year Assessment. Upon grading the exams, I took it one step further and did an item analysis on each question. I took a blank test and wrote the names/initials of each child that missed a particular question on the exam. This really gave me a clear picture. If there were a few names, I provided individual help for the students by having them work with my teacher's aide or my IUN student teacher on that particular goal. The aide and IUN student used math games and examples that I generated from the Assessment CD. If there were many names, I generated more examples from the CD and embedded that review into Game Day or into the whole class morning math routine.

Another way I use it is during Game Day. Again, I identify an area of weakness and I generate more examples that can be used in a smaller group setting during my teacher group on Game Day. That is an excellent way to provide review before an exam.

We have had several staff developments regarding the Assessment CD. It is really easy to use.... play with it ... practice with it & you are a pro in no time.

When I hear other teachers saying that their students did poorly on a math assessment, I try to encourage them to use the CD to review / practice the skill.... & remind them to be "proactive" as well as "reactive." This CD makes it so easy to get those extras in... and you don't have to spend another 20 - 30 minutes into an already crowded math day. Just another minute or three a day will very often do the trick.

GO Assessment CD & encourage others to do the same!
Angela Murphy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is a great idea! There are just so many resources to use that you forget the ones that are right in front of you. After the mid-year assessment, I was very disappointed because I thought my students had grasped more then what they did. Sometimes I think tests are too overwhelming. I think this cd will help me to review concepts.
Jeanette Krabill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Assessment Assistant CD Reply with quote

I am using this tool in my after school math club with 9 students who are struggling with various math concepts. I am able to streamline the problems I give to them to practice. They are thrilled to get the extra help and I am thrilled to be able to access problems so quickly. What a time saver. I also use this to print out problems for some of the students volunteer tutors to do with them!
Debra Bryant

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angela Murphy wrote:
Wow this is a great idea! There are just so many resources to use that you forget the ones that are right in front of you. After the mid-year assessment, I was very disappointed because I thought my students had grasped more then what they did. Sometimes I think tests are too overwhelming. I think this cd will help me to review concepts.

I also thought what the first person said was a great idea. I use mine for every unit and its been a big help. My problem is when I go to print what I've choosen to do the 1st page won't print. Other teachers in the building have the same problem. So we have to type page 1 twice. Nobody seems to know how to fix this problem. I'm making a folder of each unit with this CD to help me and students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: